How do I cool down my coop?

I fortunately have electricity in my coop (itā€™s more of a big outbuilding) and I run a box fan in there, itā€™s set up in front of an east facing window thatā€™s shady, and run the fan on low during the day to keep air moving and medium at night to bring the cooler air in. I have a few hens who are heat sensitive.

It's been kind of hot these past few days and I was wondering how to lower the temperatures in my coop? My poor birds really look like they are suffering, and I want to help but I don't know how. The coop has a 2 1/2 x 3' (estimating here) window that I currently have open. There are two coop doors (one is a house door) that stay open all day, but come evening, the window is the only thing I can safely keep open. How do I help with the temperature? I can feel the temperature difference between the outside air and the coop air.

My birds won't really drink. Should I force water on them? Or should I maybe float a frozen water bottle in their waterer?

Any tips or advice would be very welcome. Thanks! :)
FrĆ·zing water bottles were well. We also have out water system on a pump with nipples. This with the water bottles works very good.

Back
Top Bottom