How do I cool down my coop?

Freeze some water bottles and place them around in the coop. They might enjoy laying against those if they're really hot. You could also put a fan in their, but make sure it's not blowing directly on your birds. Just circulating air. Also try providing some standing water in their run so they can walk through it. Floating their favorite treats in their water may encourage them to drink.
This is brilliant! I've been racking my brain on how to keep our 5 ducks & 1 goose, cool at night. We live in the southern depths of GA and the humidity is stifling. Thank God for the continued cool nights, but once summer hits....oh boy!
I thought to use small laundry baskets or small coolers ( not styrofoam ) and place several frozen water bottles in each. I think the laundry baskets will work best because of holes. Maybe add a rechargeable fan too. Are there holes in my idea? (No pun intended lol)

This is brilliant! I've been racking my brain on how to keep our 5 ducks & 1 goose, cool at night. We live in the southern depths of GA and the humidity is stifling. Thank God for the continued cool nights, but once summer hits....oh boy!
I thought to use small laundry baskets or small coolers ( not styrofoam ) and place several frozen water bottles in each. I think the laundry baskets will work best because of holes. Maybe add a rechargeable fan too. Are there holes in my idea? (No pun intended lol)
I use this little solar fan to suck out hotter air up high, works well for my small coop

Ventilation is everything in keeping the coop cool. The ceiling is where all hot air rises to. I like to point a fan up at the ceiling toward the vents, drawing the lower cooler air up, stirring up the hotter air and pushing it out the vents. I will also use a turbo fan on the floor pointing it toward the birds in the run, birds love to line up in front of a fan, feathers blowing in the wind.

If it's not too humid, dampen the floor of the coop and run, allowing for evaporative cooling, this will lower the temp of the floor quite a bit.

Do you mean so they could get in the basket with the water bottles?

Or should I maybe float a frozen water bottle in their waterer?

Any tips or advice would be very welcome. Thanks! :)
I float frozen water bottles in my girls' waterer on hot days. I also have a fan in their run, and on very hot days, I have a water mister directed at a portion of the run. I also provide a shallow pan of water for them to walk through. Make sure they have day-long shade. I have the south side of the run covered in shade cloth. It provides shade, while allowing air flow

In the coop, itself, I have an exhaust fan, regulated by a thermostat, at the peak of the gable. I think that this year I will add frozen water bottles to the coop, itself, to help when they go in to lay eggs

Back
Top Bottom