How do I cool down my coop?

ohnoicantfly

Songster
Jun 27, 2022
Canada
It's been kind of hot these past few days and I was wondering how to lower the temperatures in my coop? My poor birds really look like they are suffering, and I want to help but I don't know how. The coop has a 2 1/2 x 3' (estimating here) window that I currently have open. There are two coop doors (one is a house door) that stay open all day, but come evening, the window is the only thing I can safely keep open. How do I help with the temperature? I can feel the temperature difference between the outside air and the coop air.

My birds won't really drink. Should I force water on them? Or should I maybe float a frozen water bottle in their waterer?

Any tips or advice would be very welcome. Thanks! :)

Freeze some water bottles and place them around in the coop. They might enjoy laying against those if they're really hot. You could also put a fan in their, but make sure it's not blowing directly on your birds. Just circulating air. Also try providing some standing water in their run so they can walk through it. Floating their favorite treats in their water may encourage them to drink.

This is the basic layout. I can get a real picture tomorrow.
20230526_213652.jpg

x2 on photos. It sounds underventilated (and you don't have ventilation referenced in the photos) so really that's what needs to be addressed. Anything else is only a temporary fix.

You want a minimum of 1 sq ft per bird in ventilation open 24/7 in moderate climates. More is needed in hotter climates.

Any shade over the coop? Or is it out in the sun all day?

Back
Top Bottom