How do I explain this?

Most people are surprised to find out that two types of herpes viruses -- the one that causes cold sores and the one that causes chickenpox -- can cause serious eye problems.

Neither of these two viruses are the same virus that causes genital herpes, and herpetic eye disease is not a sexually transmitted disease

just because she gets cold sores does not mean its the same as the STD /STI
and its a different strain that causes chicken pox so please dont confuse the 2

Like some of the others here, I get cold sores and generally speaking, they only appear after a sunburn, illness with fever, or stress (when my bloodpressure shoots through the roof). Been married 25 yrs, and my husband doesnt have them and neither do my children who are all grown now. This isnt the end of the world. If you want to avoid prescriptions, try Abreva, expensive at 17 buck for a .25oz tube but well worth it.

Last edited:
I get them too. I just use rubbing alcohol and tea tree oil. Lavender works for inflammation too. I only use the rubbing alcohol when I am out of tea tree oil and lavender oil. You could use organic vodka too. Just dab it on whenever she "feels" she needs it.
thumbsup.gif

Make sure she doesn't pick at them. If it gets hard and painful, have her hold a warm, wet cloth over the area to loosen the scab. Then add a drop of tea tree and lavender oil. You may wanna get some meadowfoam oil as a moisturizer. Its a long chain fatty acid and moisturizes for a while!

Make sure she always keeps her lips moisturized--the stress from the sun and having dry lips will trigger an outbreak.

Quote:
I am a nurse. Herpes virus (simplex 1 and 2) are related. A person CAN get genital herpes on the face although less frequently. Herpes simplex viruses -- more commonly known as herpes -- are categorized into two types: herpes type 1 (HSV-1, or oral herpes) and herpes type 2 (HSV-2, or genital herpes). Most commonly, herpes type 1 causes sores around the mouth and lips (sometimes called fever blisters or cold sores). HSV-1 can cause genital herpes, but most cases of genital herpes are caused by herpes type 2. In HSV-2, the infected person may have sores around the genitals or rectum. Although HSV-2 sores may occur in other locations, these sores usually are found below the waist.

Chickenpox aka Varicella has NOTHING to do with herpes virus!!

Quote:
I am a nurse. Herpes virus (simplex 1 and 2) are related. A person CAN get genital herpes on the face although less frequently. Herpes simplex viruses -- more commonly known as herpes -- are categorized into two types: herpes type 1 (HSV-1, or oral herpes) and herpes type 2 (HSV-2, or genital herpes). Most commonly, herpes type 1 causes sores around the mouth and lips (sometimes called fever blisters or cold sores). HSV-1 can cause genital herpes, but most cases of genital herpes are caused by herpes type 2. In HSV-2, the infected person may have sores around the genitals or rectum. Although HSV-2 sores may occur in other locations, these sores usually are found below the waist.

if you go back further in the thread you will see I said the exact same thing.. they are not the same virus.. but after digging through my dusty books a but more i found out that thay are a related virus.. but one wont cause the other...

and yes I am a nurse too!

Yes, a herpes virus causes them. I don't think anyone said they were of the same strain though...the opposite in fact.
smile.png

Quote:

if you go back further in the thread you will see I said the exact same thing.. they are not the same virus.. but after digging through my dusty books a but more i found out that thay are a related virus.. but one wont cause the other...

and yes I am a nurse too!

I apologize. I went back and reread what you wrote (which I had misread). You are correct in what you wrote....sorry about that....
hide.gif
I jumped the gun.
Just went through a horrible case of herpes whitlow on his index finger with my 3 yr old son. We have no idea where he contracted it from - no daycare or anything.... Thankfully the Zovirax cleared it up fairly rapidly although he did end up loosing his fingernail in the process.

I feel for you, and for her
hugs.gif

Best advice for her -- drink a glass of water every day, and do not let her lips get dry/chapped (they seem to come out after a dry spell).

Yes for taking L-Lysine, that can be purchased in a lip ointment form too.
"Lip Clear Lysine +" by Quantum (blue squeeze tube with a green cap) which also contains vitamin A,D,E, olive oil and etc.

Better yet... go to CVS (the popular drugstore) and purchase their brand of medicated lip ointment for $2 in the aisle with Blistex/chapstick/etc.

This little red & white tube is THE BEST -- forget the $20 ointments that make you suffer thru 2 weeks of bleh.

She can use this CVS ointment daily as a moisturizer and a preventative.
When I feel the tingle, I use it and nothing comes of it.
When I see a red area developing, I use it and overnight it is gone.

CVS Lip Ointment in the red & white tube ~
clap.gif

My son gets those cold sores around his lips too. It can get REALLY, REALLY bad for him, especially if he picks at them. (he's 12 now) He has gotten them since he was 2 or 3, I have NO idea how he got them and dont care since it doesnt matter now that they are here.

For him, I use crushed up to a powder, real asprin mixed with water, make a paste and apply. It works like magic! So does neosporin applied thickly for 2 or 3 days, after the first day of asprin. I tried one of the prescription meds, but they didnt work for him, so I tried all of the above and they worked. Carmex will help too if you get it on as soon as you feel the tingle or burn of an upcoming cold sore. I did talk to the Dr about my 'home remedies' and he said there were no problems with me using them. I was worried about the asprin, but its a very small amount and I only started using it once he was old enough to know not to lick his lips.

His triggers are sun and CITRIC ACID. If he eats any of those sour candies that have the citric acid powder on them, you can bet he will have a breakout within 24-48 hours. I try to stop him, but he makes his own choice knowing the consequences.

I do wonder about how contagious they really are versus personal immunity. NO ONE else in the family has them, or even has had a cold sore. He's the only one, and I know some of the younger kids have drank from his cup while he has an outbreak (I DONT let them do it, they just grab what they see sometimes before I can stop them), and we all often use each others pillows or blankets when we all hang out at night together on the couch to watch a movie. None of us have any issues. Weird.

Maybe some people are just more susceptable than others?

Quote:
Yikes!!! What a terrible thing to happen to a poor little baby! That woman needs to do some research. Some people can be soooo stupid.
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom