How do I get him to stand still long enough to photograph?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WalkingOnSunshine, Mar 24, 2009.

1. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I just got a lovely Ameraucana rooster and two hens. I'm dying to get some good pics of him to get everyone's opinions, but he won't stand still. He's in a chicken tractor by himself now that the introduction period is over and the hens have been let out into the flock at large, so I can't really take his pic in the tractor b/c the angle is wrong and the wire makes it too hard to see. I can't let him out b/c 1. he challenges every hen he sees and we have a fight and 2. I want him separated so I know exactly what egg comes from what mating. He's not the tamest thing in the world, so I can't bring him in the house for a pic--he'd run all over creating a path of destruction. How on Earth do I photograph this bird in a pose where he can be judged?

(End of rant [​IMG])

Here's the best photo I've managed to get of him:
    [​IMG]

2. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    I would have someone else grab him - and the hold his legs. He might struggle at first, but he should calm down. Then set him on a table or something, with someone still holding his leg/legs.

Maybe this will make him quiet down long enough to take a picture.

Oh, and by the way, I've never had to try to take a picture of a "wild" roo, so........this is all just theory [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Here's a little trick...

1. Grab bird around the body, with the feet and head flying free. Keep the wings close to the body.
    2. RAPIDLY move the bird in a circular motion that is the literally as wide as you can go.
    3. Once you've sufficiently confused him, "drop" him onto the place you want to take the picture (MAYBE a 3" drop).
    4. Take the picture QUICK. The circular motion will confused him JUST enough so that you can take some quick pictures.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I've heard of that circular trick--but I didn't think of doing it in this instance. I'm going to have to give that one a try!

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Can chickens get motion sickness? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by