How do I get my ducks to fly away?

Sandra76

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2023
Hey folks! I purchase fertile duck eggs which I place in my incubator with the plan to set them free once they are old enough. Last year, I successfully raised some Wood Ducks. This year, I decided on Mallards. They are now 9 weeks old and are showing no signs of flying off. We have a marsh in the back yard which I've gotten them to go in a few times. They are delighted and splash away, but they always come back to their pen. I don't have the capability to hold them for the winter. I hate to have to stop feeding them, but is that what I must do to get them to venture out? Lately, they aren't even going into the water. They stand by the bank, even letting me touch them which is unusual. Any advice you have will be very much appreciated. (I have been careful to prevent them from getting attached to me although they do recognize me).

Ive seen a documentary about waterfowl raised by humans and then set free but they havent learned the flight paths from the older birds and they havent learned to be afraid of humans (hunters are out there) and they havent learned where all the safe places are to rest or where the good foods are and they maybe even have not learned to be afraid of dogs. All in all I think its a terrible idea. sorry to be a bummer but thats how I feel about it.
edit to add
I suggest building a safe place for them to live through winters before you hatch any more 'wild' duck eggs

Ive seen a documentary about waterfowl raised by humans and then set free but they havent learned the flight paths from the older birds and they havent learned to be afraid of humans (hunters are out there) and they havent learned where all the safe places are to rest or where the good foods are and they maybe even have not learned to be afraid of dogs. All in all I think its a terrible idea. sorry to be a bummer but thats how I feel about it.
edit to add
I suggest building a safe place for them to live through winters before you hatch any more 'wild' duck eggs
X2:goodpost:

:welcome At 9 weeks old, their flight feathers are still developing. Give them time to grow up.
You're probably right as I haven't seen them actually take flight yet. Everything I read on the internet says something different. Most say they fly at 8 weeks. Thank you, sourland.

edit to add
I appreciate your honesty, Jen. I actually expected a reply or two like this. I realize now I may have made a mistake. I won't be hatching anymore ducks unless they are truly domestic and I have a place to keep them.

Back
Top Bottom