How do I get my ducks up the ramp?

bernie131

Songster
6 Years
Apr 26, 2016
Kansas City, Kansas
Well I finished my gorgeous coop that I ordered online,..put it together, was not an option to make it flush with the ground so now they won't go up the ramp,..made stairs on the backside like they use to get in the pool but nope,. I put them in there and they jumped out and no food products so far has helped,..what else???

I’m not sure ducks go up ramps for anything short of water, but maybe you can teach them to do that. They’re also somewhat reluctant to sleep inside but you do have to do that or they’ll eventually fall prey to some creature of the night.

Mine fairly cheerfully flop over the threshold of one of two chicken tractors to join the already-assembled chickens & turkeys for the night, but there are no ramps involved. Maybe if you physically put them inside every night for a week or so and they learn ‘climbing down,’ they’ll get used to it enough to eventually climb up on their own.

Just saw your second comments. How steep is the ramp? I’m guessing the coop was built for chickens and that the ramp is fairly steep? Maybe if you post some pictures it would be easier to understand what you’ve got there.

Try posting in the duck section here. You might get a bunch more duck people to answer.

I've seen your pictures. I'm not a duck person but I don't think ducks like climbing. I'd just cut the lower section away and put the main coop on the ground. Having experience with prefab coops I reccomend putting it up on bricks or something to keep it from touching the dirt. The wood they build with softens and rots. Just keep it as low as possible so the ducks will go inside.
Good luck! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom