How do I get ready for 18 weeks girls ready to lay eggs?

You can add artificial light if you don't have it. It should be on for about 14 hours. My light turns on at 5:30 AM and turns off at 7:30 PM (also the sun don't come up at all from november to february, so they really need artificial light here). Several of my pullets (21 weeks old) started laying this week, and I live far north in Norway where the temperatures now are about 46 degrees fahrenheit in daytime and 37 degrees fahrenheit at night (but in the coop it's about 59 degrees) so the temperature doesn't stop dem from starting to lay.
Ok good to know! Thanks! Just a simple light bulb?

Im calling BS. maybe if they are handled daily.. or roosterless. But if u let them free range or even in a run and dont interact with them other than feed / water / collect eggs / check for injury.. there not gonna squat periodt.
Thanks for this, I always wondered why my chickens never squat for me! :lau

I have Sussexes (4 of them), not quite 16 weeks old, and one of them laid her first egg yesterday.

If you have chickens of different ages, some nowhere near laying age, just keep thrm all on the grower feed and, as others have said, put oyster shell in a separate container. Those who need it will help themselves, the young ones won't mess with it. You're also providing grit separately too, right? That's for digestion.

Go easy on the snacks and treats. Think of them as chips and ice cream. The more of those they eat, the less balanced nutrition they're getting. Enjoy your flock - and their eggs!

Thanks for this, I always wondered why my chickens never squat for me! :lau

I have Sussexes (4 of them), not quite 16 weeks old, and one of them laid her first egg yesterday.

If you have chickens of different ages, some nowhere near laying age, just keep thrm all on the grower feed and, as others have said, put oyster shell in a separate container. Those who need it will help themselves, the young ones won't mess with it. You're also providing grit separately too, right? That's for digestion.

Go easy on the snacks and treats. Think of them as chips and ice cream. The more of those they eat, the less balanced nutrition they're getting. Enjoy your flock - and their eggs!
Good advice! Mine love when I feed them bread and eat from my hands - I need to limit it

In re: squatting -- some hens will, some won't.

I had a SLW who still squatted when I walked up to her despite having 2 roosters.

I had a Brahma hen who wouldn't squat for me or for the rooster -- until the Langshan grew to be twice her impressive size and managed to finally impress her. :D

I *personally* don't bother with adding light. I don't live at a high latitude and I'm not managing my ladies for absolute maximum egg production. But I have read that if you do add light it should be done in the morning rather than the evening because that lets them go to roost with the natural falling of dusk rather than getting caught out when a light turns off.

Should I expect to see them laying right at 18 weeks?
I've had pullets of the same breed and even the same parents start to lay as early as 16 weeks and some not start for over 27 weeks. Sisters. One time I had production type pullets not start for 9 months. When those did finally start it was in the first week of December, the shortest days of the year. Two out of three of those started within a week of each other. I did not provide any artificial lights. People can certainly tell you when their pullets started and I can tell you when some of mine started but I cannot tell you when yours will start.

I had a 13-week-old pullet willingly squat for a 13-week-old cockerel. She did not start to lay for another 2 months. There are several things that indicate they might possibly start to lay soon but the only sure sign is when you see an egg.

Another sign is that the combs and wattles often get bright red when they are ready to lay. Them scratching the bedding in the nests is another good sign, they may be looking for a good place to make a nest. That's one reason I want the nests open. Squatting is an indication that maybe she is getting ready. The pelvic bones separate a bit when they are getting ready. If the vent is soft, damp, and pink they are getting ready or actually laying but if the vent is dry and tight they are not.

Post photos pf your nests so we can critique them.
I'd consider add another two to three inches of lip on those nests to help keep them from scratching out the bedding, fake eggs, and real eggs. You can wait to see what happens, sometimes shallow nests like that work out, but if you see the bedding or fake eggs on the coop floor I'd raise the lip.

What do you put in for nesting materials?
People use hay, straw, wood shavings, Spanish moss, dried leaves, feed bags, carpet, rags, shredded paper, and who knows what else as nest bedding. For every one of these somebody can tell you why they won't work yet someone else is happy using them. That's just the way this forum works. I personally don't like wood shavings or dried leaves but some people do. I cut long grass from places I don't mow or weed eat and dry that, pretty close to hay.

Part of your problem on this forum is that you get so many different ideas and suggestions you don't know what to do. That's because there is practically never just one way to do something, there are typically a lot of different ways that can work. Each of us may have something unique about our set-up, experiences, or just our personal preferences that makes one way better for us. There is a learning curve and trial and error is often a part of that.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom