How do I get ready for 18 weeks girls ready to lay eggs?

You were right to block them from the nest box too soon. You don't want them to get in the habit of sleeping in them. I even block mine at night from the big girls because there is always one or two that like to sleep (which leads to pooping) in them. As a noob I did put a golf ball and a fake egg in the nest but have since found it to be unnecessary. I don't even use fluffy nest materials anymore. Astroturf type plastic matts are so easy to clean.
That’s why I did it! Someone with more chicken experience said it was good to block off until laying age. Thank you! What do you use? I’m planning on just using pine shavings

All good advice here, I would suggest watching them closely as well. My pullets have surprised me any number of times by laying early at 16 weeks and picking a totally unsuitable spot to lay and Every darned one them will decide that "THAT" spot is exactly where they must lay. I once found 15 eggs under an old board against the side of the run. I honestly couldn't figure out how they even managed to wiggle under there to lay, not to mention they had to have all been contortionists to even lay without bonking their heads on the low "top" to their chosen spot.
Wow!!!! Haha

Someone with more chicken experience said it was good to block off until laying age. What do you use? I’m planning on just using pine shavings
You'll find everyone's experiences vary. Even when I have chicks I don't block off the nests as a general rule. I don't find chicks sleeping in the nest box. I allow them to visit and play in the nests as youngsters so they're aware that they're there.

And I use hemp as the nesting material simply because I have it on hand. Prior to that it was aspen wood shavings (which is cheaper, but I see no need to buy 2 different types of material).

For bedding, avoid cedar as the smell (oils) are bad for their lungs, other than that use what you can get at the price/quantity you want. I have raked my grass after cutting (when it was dry) and used that grass and chopped up leaves all winter. I now have access to pine straw (neighbors are glad to have it hauled off), so we'll use that. Don't stress over it. I don't know that I've ever heard the egg song and not found an egg. My littles were so red and I just knew they were laying, finally found about 20 eggs under the rhododendrons. I got rid of nest boxes because they would push out all the fluff and lay on the hard bottom. Then another hen (or the rooster) would get in there with them and you'd have cracked egg mess to clean up. Now I just cross my fingers they lay in the coop instead of somewhere else. New layers will often lay where they roost, so watch under the roost pole. I have a poop try w/ cat litter, so an egg drops there and I can get it when I do my daily scooping. Just keep in mind that people have had poultry for eons and didn't have tractor supply or rural king to get bedding from, if you read old books, they would lay in the goat manger or up in the loft. You may even find a random egg out in the open areas/yard. Until they get some experience (or watch the older girls) they are kind of meh. I just love it when a hen hatches them and raises them--they get on the roost with her so quickly. Good luck.

Why do you want them closed? Open those nests now. If you are going to have issues with them open I'd want to know it before they start laying so I can fix the problem before they start to lay. I also don't want to train them to lay somewhere else because they can't get to those nests when they start.

Post photos pf your nests so we can critique them.

Add a fake egg to each nest. That can encourage them to lay there.

I'd offer oyster shell on the side. If they need it they should eat it. If they don't need the calcium they should not eat enough to harm themselves.
I would add a fake egg to each nest, I use Bermuda grass hay in my nests.Yes definable oyster shells.

Back
Top Bottom