How do I get the word out we have eggs ready to sell?

QuiltinChick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Iowa
We have Barred Rocks, around 50 of them, that started laying just a couple of weeks ago (at 17 weeks of age). Each day it seems like we are getting more and more eggs. Today we got 34 eggs
ya.gif
. We decided to put a sign in our front yard, on a fairly busy county highway a couple of days ago and we still have not had anyone stop to buy eggs.

We have permission from a neighbor to put a sign in his yard also (he is on the same county highway at the corner with a State highway) with a sign pointing in our direction and the mileage (only a half mile). We haven't done that part yet, because we didn't think the girls would be producing this many this quickly.

I have considered going to the local farmer's market, but I hear they are very strict about the temp you keep the eggs at. (I'm open for suggestions as to how some of you guys accomplish this).

Any other suggestions? I've considered having a sign made to put on a window on my vehicle, but then I would always have to eggs with me and again the temperature thing comes in to play.

I thought about having a shirt made, but that might be going a bit far.
lau.gif

Help!!!! I need to get these eggs moving!!! By the way, how long can I keep the eggs in the frig before I can no longer sell them as "fresh".

THANKS for all the help this website has given me to this point. I wouldn't have made it this far with out all of the suggestions and insight you all have to offer.

Where do you live? Do you work outside of your home/farm? Does someone in the family work away from home? If so can they sell by word of mouth at work?

I sell at my job and cannot keep up with demands. I have 60+ hens.

Maye

Ride the Glide....Got Gait.....I Do....

Last edited:
Where do you live? Do you work outside of your home/farm? Does someone in the family work away from home? If so can they sell by word of mouth at work?
I sell at my job and cannot keep up with demands. I have 60+ hens.
Maye
Ride the Glide....Got Gait.....I Do....
We live in Central Iowa. I do not work outside the home, but I do take my kids to school everyday and also pick them up every day. Thats why I thought a sign on my car would work.

Hubby is a self employed contractor, so he doesn't go to one place on a consistant basis.

THANKS for the suggestions.

Try eBay classifieds, make a free website and advertise there and try your local feed store some have bulliten boards to advertise on

Those are good suggestions. Hubby has been wanting to try and figure out how to sell on ebay, this may be a good opportunity. Would people want them packaged and shipped to them or just sell to local people?

Hadn't thought about the feed store. I'll have to check with them. They are all getting to know me as I am in there all the time!!!

THANKS for your input!!!!

Give the first dozen free to friends, people at kids school, bus driver, etc. That has hooked them for me. Once they taste how much better they are, they want them.

I think people would want them shipped as well as local buyers just do secure packaging if you ship I know alot on eBay sell fertile eggs for hatching, perhaps run weekly specials on Fridays or Saturday's that might help also, I believe you can also sell on amazon too if I'm not mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom