how do I give calcium to my hens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kelso roosters, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Kelso roosters

Kelso roosters Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    So I feed my hens layer feed but it seems like one of my girls aint getting the right amount she layed a soft egg today and it was all in one peace but it was like a water balloon so what more can I do I have oster shells and all of that if anyone knows anything I would really appreciate it thanks:)

2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Cheese is nice calcium booster. You can also feed your chickens back thier eggshells for calcium, but personaly, I would not recomend it, as it can lead to egg cannibalism.
    Good luck!
    Cackleberrycam[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: That's not necessarily a lack of calcium
    It could just mean the egg passed out before the shell formed

I'd wait to see it it reoccurs before worrying too much

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Yes , no matter how much calcium they get, you can occasionally get a shell-less egg in a young or even an older hen. I offer my hens free choice of crushed oyster shell and crumble up dried egg shells to give a snack. Sometimes a hen will have a reproductive problem and always lay odd or shell-less eggs. She may have a problem metabolizing calcium.

5. Kelso roosters

Kelso roosters Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2013
    Yeah I will just wait and see I think she will be ok thanks everyone I wouldn't know what to do without back yard chicken people haha :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by