How do I keep my duck coop clean?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
My duck coop is nothing much, it is basically just 4 large fence panels that are wrapped in chicken wire, buried in the ground, wired and paneled over the top, so completely pretatotor proof. Otherwise, I have a small hunt in the corner, with some cardboard behind it, up against the fence panel, to give them some privacy, and some "walls" on there little hut. I also have some milk crates, an old hanging feeder cylinder, and a mini A-frame, made up of some old storage bin lids, as extra nest boxes. They usually lay under the A-frame, which is the same spot were three when broody for 4 months and obviously never hatched anything. So. I clean the bedding around ounce a week, and after about 3 days it's back to smelling gross, and the shavings/hay is all grey and poopy looking. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on how to keep it clean, or how to advance the nesting boxes so that it stays clean longer? We recently created another duck house, with the same design, because the one house wasn't big enough, so we separate the flock at night, in both coops. I can provide pictures in a minuet, thanks, everyone! Avery
Ps. I don't know i fit matters, we separate our ducks from our chickens since our broody hatched ducklings after the 4 month fiasco, so we have 3 chickens living with the ducks, to separate them from or rooster, who is so abscessed with them mating wise, that it is better for them to be separate.

How many ducks do you have in this area? And do you know how big measurement wise that area is? It may be too small for them all to be on the floor. Also, do you have roosting areas for the chickens to get off the ground? You may need to try laying something down for flooring so their hay/bedding isn't touching the ground.. I'm assuming in Washington it stays pretty moist on the ground? Also, do you have water in there? If so, you might want to take that out. They are super messy (but cute) creatures and I had to take the water/feeder out of my coop because of the nasty mess it was making. Some people don't agree with withholding food and water through the night though :idunno I'm not super experienced with ducks, but hopfully someone else can chime in too!

Is this their entire space or just for nights?

If it is the entire space I agree it may be to small. Ducks are messy creatures that love to (and actually NEED to) have water deep enough to wash their nares (nose holes). That splashes water everywhere. The way they have to eat makes it very necessary.

If you have a pool in the enclosure that will add greatly to the mucky mud. There are ways to control/deal with it.
We need pics and measurements in order to better advise.

j
Is this their entire space or just for nights?

If it is the entire space I agree it may be to small. Ducks are messy creatures that love to (and actually NEED to) have water deep enough to wash their nares (nose holes). That splashes water everywhere. The way they have to eat makes it very necessary.

If you have a pool in the enclosure that will add greatly to the mucky mud. There are ways to control/deal with it.
We need pics and measurements in order to better advise.
Ohh yes, they have a large run for the day time, and a little pond inside ti with a small stream so the pond doesn't over flow. I also let hem out to free range when we can be around making noise, so that they won't be eaten by predators. They usually get outside, almost every day. I don't have water in at night, because I would have got clean it every day, and if I waited longer, then it would spill and there would be mold or fungus growing under the tub. What should I put on the ground under the bedding? It does get very moist and rains here more then not, so that doesn't help. I can get pictures of the set up in a little bit, I had not finish my school work first. Thanks for the quick reply! Avery

j

Ohh yes, they have a large run for the day time, and a little pond inside ti with a small stream so the pond doesn't over flow. I also let hem out to free range when we can be around making noise, so that they won't be eaten by predators. They usually get outside, almost every day. I don't have water in at night, because I would have got clean it every day, and if I waited longer, then it would spill and there would be mold or fungus growing under the tub. What should I put on the ground under the bedding? It does get very moist and rains here more then not, so that doesn't help. I can get pictures of the set up in a little bit, I had not finish my school work first. Thanks for the quick reply! Avery

For my ducks I had to put a roof over the run/pen. That may not be an option for everyone.
If the pen is exposed to rain I don't know if using shavings or hay is the best thing. I do know straw did absolutely NOT work for me before adding the roof. Even with the roof I won't use straw.
My climate is a very dry one....hardly a raindrop all summer here. I would think (depending on you going in daily to fluff things) fall leaves may help.

Those pics really will help us to help you. I know you have other things going on too so just when you can.

I do hav e arom. Since it is so wet, I don't know how mess it would she without one! I am going to take pictures now, and the chickens usually sleep onto o other little hut, and the oldest one, who is 6-7ish, I had her separated because of her age and she has a permanent limp because of a sprain that didn't fully heal. She sleeps in the milk crate, which she prefers to kick all of the bedding gout of, and sleep on the plastic! :D The ducks never use the extra boxes, just the older chicken.

I would think some type of pressure treated flooring if its touching the ground. If you can build it up off the ground that would be ideal. Then it could just be a plywood or something?!?! Like our coop floor is plywood with an indoor/outdoor safe paint. And I use straw only because it works for my area and inside the coop (for now).

Here are the pictures! The first post is the original duck coop, so one of the coops we separate them in, and the second post is the second or newest duck coop, which is a little bigger. I have 9 ducks/ducklings as of now, which I separate between the coops. We will be getting rid of one of the ducklings because he is a male, so we will have 8 ducks in the long run, so 4 in each coop!

IMG_5832.jpg
IMG_5833.jpg

IMG_5834.jpg

I would think some type of pressure treated flooring if its touching the ground. If you can build it up off the ground that would be ideal. Then it could just be a plywood or something?!?! Like our coop floor is plywood with an indoor/outdoor safe paint. And I use straw only because it works for my area and inside the coop (for now).
It wouldn't be to hard to make a would flooring. We always have extra wood around, since my dad is all about building things. We can by the rich flooring too, we have eno problem with that. I posted picture of the first coop. We have bad internet so the second picture will take a minuet load.

Back
Top Bottom