How do I keep my duck coop clean?

I can work on making the floor of my above ground house mesh then, and I will continue toe use shavings. I usually use shavings, but if I run out then I use the hay fo ray horses until I can get more shavings. I will make it a project!

It is best to put it on a framework that is not sitting directly on the dirt to prevent mold and rot.
Got it! I will work on a design with my dad! may eb we can keep it off the ground too! I know that he's always wanted to pour cement in our run, but i down think that is a good idea, to hard. Maybe it would work just in the coop though if I covered the the cement really good with shavings? We will work on a design! Thanks for all the tips!

Got it! I will work on a design with my dad! may eb we can keep it off the ground too! I know that he's always wanted to pour cement in our run, but i down think that is a good idea, to hard. Maybe it would work just in the coop though if I covered the the cement really good with shavings? We will work on a design! Thanks for all the tips!

It doesn't have to be super complicated. Here are some examples....

https://www.hgtv.com/lifestyle/family/pets/how-to-build-a-simple-a-frame-doghouse

https://www.thesprucepets.com/free-dog-house-plans-1357119

This one has a step by step video with measurements and instructions below it.
I think it is bigger than needed for a nest box but it gives good general construction tips.

My tip....graph paper and draw it all to scale. Standard sheet goods like plywood are 4'x8'. Draw out your dimensions and cut diagram within an outline that would represent a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

https://www.lowes.com/n/how-to/build-a-doghouse

I know! My dad is all about building things, and all the ideas! He is currently building me a shed that I will be using to treat my chickens and my friends chickens for various diseases! I tis gong great! We will hopefully finish it next week! After that, we can start on the duck house! I am also trying to find mulch to use to pu down in my duck run, since it is way to hard on there feet and giving them bumble foot. I am excited to start another project after the vet shack!

I know! My dad is all about building things, and all the ideas! He is currently building me a shed that I will be using to treat my chickens and my friends chickens for various diseases! I tis gong great! We will hopefully finish it next week! After that, we can start on the duck house! I am also trying to find mulch to use to pu down in my duck run, since it is way to hard on there feet and giving them bumble foot. I am excited to start another project after the vet shack!
If you are having issues with bumblefoot, please consider my experience. I used to get recurring bumbles, but I asked my vet how I could prevent them and she recommended I make changes to their substrate and aviary. I did and haven't had bumbles for years!

Ultimately everything my vet recommended had to do with getting their feet on softer surfaces. I had pine or aspen wood shavings in their barn room and my vet told me to switch to a very thick layer (minimum 4 inches) of hay or straw. I felt that the shavings were soft, as I used to hang out with them in there quite often, but she assured me that to small feet it was like standing on a hard board for many hours for days on end. For outside she told me to remove all rocks, boards and gravel from their aviary and only have dirt or grass. I was pretty sure she was delusional and it wasn't going to work, but decided since I was paying her thousands of dollars I might as well do what she said. It worked! It was inconvenient switching everything, but a lot nicer than dealing with repeated bumbles.

I know that using wood shavings is a lot easier to clean out. It is easier to work with and you don't have to clean it as often. But the straw has made a huge difference in the foot health for my pets. Also having only dirt or grass in their pens. A lot of people seem to use wood chips with no issues. I can't. And I'll happily scoop up wads of poopy straw if I can spare my ducks bumblefoot.

I am trying to find some super soft mulch for the run. Plus the soil is SO hard and compacted, I'm hoping to find a mulch that can help bring the soil back to life a little bit. I will look into the stew idea though! The only problem with that, is won't it get mold on the bottom if the ground is so wet? I use hay every now an then when I can get shavings, and it gets black and mold within a couple days, since where I liv its so moist. Plus the coop doesn't have accrual walls, just chain link, and a roof, so it does get somewhat misted on.

I am trying to find some super soft mulch for the run. Plus the soil is SO hard and compacted, I'm hoping to find a mulch that can help bring the soil back to life a little bit. I will look into the stew idea though! The only problem with that, is won't it get mold on the bottom if the ground is so wet? I use hay every now an then when I can get shavings, and it gets black and mold within a couple days, since where I liv its so moist. Plus the coop doesn't have accrual walls, just chain link, and a roof, so it does get somewhat misted on.
You are completely right about the straw or hay needing to be kept dry. I use it only inside the barn, which is elevated, has walls, a floor and a roof. I live near Seattle so I completely understand the moisture and mold situation.

I have 2 different "yards" in the aviary for my ducks. I reseed and let the grass grow back in one, then switch them to the other.

I thought you might like to hear about my experience with bumblefoot. Maybe you can take it into consideration when building a weather proof home for your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom