How do I know if my chick dying?

Katorisho

Hatching
Jan 4, 2020
I just got my second chick (I have two.) I live in the Philippines where you can buy baby chicks for 20 pesos (its like cents in dollars I think?) basically I really don't know my chicks age but the thing is after 2 weeks? (Got her on Christmas day because I thought my other chick will be lonely but he is really hyper compared to my other chick.)
Right now, she is panting heavily and just laying down on her stomach. When she stands up her legs are really weak because she keeps falling but she can prevent it if I assist her. Sometimes when she stands up she will fall asleep and she will kind of fall and wakes up again. Please help, what do I do? This is her right now, I really don't have money to buy a brooder but my other chick survives without it but i dont know about her. Im sorry for the wrong grammar I hope you can understand and will be able to give some advices.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631.7 KB · Views: 45
What are you feeding the chicks? Do they have a heat lamp provided for them? A picture of your set up might help. Chicks need the correct food and heat to survive. Is water provided at all times?

20 pesos is approximately 1USD in mexico. I imagine it's similar there.

Have you seen any runny or red poops? The poops I see in your photo don't look great.

This sounds to me like coccidia which is a common problem in chicks and kills fast. This website has more info on it;
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry#v3340394
And it lists drugs that can treat it. You can try to find one of these and treat both of them. Give electrolytes in the water and immediate treatment and they may both make it. Without it they may both die or only one might.
But coccidia is everywhere. Most adult chickens have a strong immune system to deal with it. The best defense against coccidia is a healthy immune system and the best way to have a strong immune system is a high quality environment - high quality feed, a warm brooder, clean water and frequently changed bedding. Chances are good in an environment that's not warm and clean you'll lose a lot of chicks to it. And a single chick is a lonely chick.

I wonder if you don't have the money for a warm environment how you will handle any medical needs they may have, or their feed when they are older or keep them safe from predators. Animals can be cheap to buy, but expensive to take care of long term. Something to think about.

This is my first time, my friend said that chicken booster so i bought chicken booster. I have no lamp but earlier she is underneath the sun but I gave her a shade so that whenever she feels hot she will move over there but the thing is she can't walk properly. Water is provided all the time. I recheck it 3 times a day or more than that.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 20
She only pooped twice, the first poop is normal its her food but a little wet and the second one is all water, is that normal? The other chick his name is Hitler, he is okay and healthy here is his photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 21
Check the yellow chicks vent where it poops and see if there is any clinging to the feathers. If there is poop clean it off very gently by soaking it in warm not hot water. Dry the chick thoroughly. You have a parrot and a chicken. They have different feeding needs. The chicken should be given only chick starter for now, plus lots of clean water. If you have any organic apple cider vinegar measure out 1 tsp to a quart of water and give that to the chick. Hopefully that will help.

What are you feeding them? They need a heat lamp for the first few weeks of life. I fear you did not do the proper research before you got the birds. Please don't get any more chicks until you do the proper research and get them what they need to survive.

Check the yellow chicks vent where it poops and see if there is any clinging to the feathers. If there is poop clean it off very gently by soaking it in warm not hot water. Dry the chick thoroughly. You have a parrot and a chicken. They have different feeding needs. The chicken should be given only chick starter for now, plus lots of clean water. If you have any organic apple cider vinegar measure out 1 tsp to a quart of water and give that to the chick. Hopefully that will help.

Are you sure that chick isn't dyed? Dying chicks is illegal in the US but I suspect it's pink from dyes. I don't know any parrots that have combs or pink down.

Thank you so much for replying I will do my best to take care of them and its a chicken not parrot. Again, I thank you all for replying! It will help me alot in the future.

I really wish it can be illegal here in the Philippines. This two chicks are dyed, they are known to be a 45 days where you can eat it after 45 days. If you tell people that they are dead they won't be surprise because they believe that they die easily. I really wish that I could save some chicks but I know that its a silly idea. When I got the yellow one she is really shy compared to the pink one and I got scared that she might die early. Thank you again for replying and giving your time to reply.

Back
Top Bottom