How do I know if my SS's will start laying soon?

LOL as I was typing this, she was laying her first egg!! her name is Honey Pie, and I suspected weeks ago that she would be the first of 3 sister hens to lay. A cute, perfect little off white egg!!! Today is her 23 week birthday
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
celebrate.gif

Congrats on your new eggs everyone!
wee.gif
My SS (and Australorps) started laying at around 6 months. I had buff orps who started to lay at 4 months. Yesterday I got 9 eggs, that's the most I've ever gotten in one day - hooray!!!!

Yeah, we have a light on for them. It's usually on for about 12-14 hours. We turn it on in the morning around 8, then turn it off between 8 and 9 in the evening.
She laid another egg at about the same time as the other night...kind of funny, a night laying hen! Well, at least it was in the nesting box this time!
Oh, cool!!! How big was it about?
@howlinggood: How big are your SS's eggs usually, compared to a store bought?

Last edited:
Today's first egg was so tiny, like inbetween a quail egg and a small chicken egg. But the shell was so perfectly formed, the shape was perfect, it's a nice off white color. I'll post pics tomorrow, too tired now.

Quote:
Aloha,

First congrats on the new layer(s) I am glad you got your first egg! I was wondering if you put your lights on an automated timer? That way it comes on and off when you want it too. But just a thought. Oh yeah, you have beautiful chooks too...

Yeah, since she's still kind of small right now, our chickens eggs are small, but nicely shaped too! We're getting orange yolks too!
No, we don't have automatic timers. But we go in the a lot during the day anyway to give them grass and stuff. They also get they're water and food filled with pine shavings.
Er...what are chooks?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
This is Honey Pie, my first layer of 3 Sumatra pullets, age 23 weeks:
70052_honey_pie.jpeg

This is her first egg from Monday:
70052_0124010922a.jpg

This is her sister, Sugar Pie, I think she'll be next in line to lay:
70052_sugar_pie1.jpeg

Honey Pie gave me another egg Tuesday! here are eggs 1 and 2:
70052_honey_pies_first_2_eggs.jpg

Back