How do I know when the does are in heat?

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Good morning everyone.

I have two Nigerian dwarf does that delivered kids respectively 12/24 and 12/26/2019.

The kids are doing great and already nibbling at the regular foods. Therefore, they can be weaned soon.

I also have the ram that I had to separate from the does and kids so he would not hurt them.

Question: Once kids are weaned and removed. How long should I wait to place the does with the ram again? And how do I know when the does are in heat so I have an idea of when they are impregnated? What other things should I look for before breeding them again?
C268E15E-C23C-4D51-A548-E0228C63F50D.jpeg

Thank you for your input! 🤗🙏

I am no expert on Nigerians, so this may not apply. Dairy goats are seasonal breeders, meaning that the breeding season is from about September through February. When a goat is in heat, she is usually restless and more vocal than usual. The most obvious sign is that the vulva is swollen, there is a clear discharge, and she wags her tail. A lot.

All the miniature goats I've kept are seasonal breeders. I doubt your does will come in heat until next fall. The buck can run with them all year round as long as he's well behaved.

Here goats come in heat from August through January generally. It may be different in other places or climates.

Back
Top Bottom