How do I make my babies all like each other or at least tolerate

callducklover20

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Bonner Springs, KS
I have 4 calls that are 4 months now and 2 that are 2 months and every time the younger ones try to come up to the older ones, the older ones beat them up-even to the point of making one bleed a tiny bit next to her bill and hold them down. I know the 4 older ones are all boys and the 2 younger ones I think are both girls, I have never had this problem with my other ducks-I just want all my babies to get along so I dont have to keep everyone seperate all the time especially when they are out running around free ranging

If there's a big size difference then you'll want to keep them separate until they just about reach the same size. If that's not an option, you could make sure the little ones have places to hide when the older ones get roudy. Since the older ones are males and younger are females, it may be that they are starting to learn their mating habbits.

I have found that I cannot keep ducklings in with my adults no matter what because the males (and in some cases, other females) kill the ducklings. They see them as trespassers on "their" turf and this may also be the case here.

Keep them seperate until they are the same size. Then get rid of three of the males and keep the trio. Doing anything else will result in injured or possibly killed hens by overzealous drakes.

Back
Top Bottom