How do I make my chicken like me?

I tried that and it didnt work... I can do it for longer thought, I only did it for a couple of days.
We used treats every time. Some were a lot quicker than others to get friendly and others very standoffish. Our red star would follow you to the ends of the earth for meal worm and quickly jumped into our laps. If I shook the container I could round them up easily to get them into the coop if I had to go in and they weren't really ready. Our Silver-Laced Wyandott would run like her tail was on fire if we approached her to pick her up, so we just left her alone continued giving them all treats. After several months one day she just hopped up in out laps. So treats and patience. Have fun. Our Buckeye never did really warm up she was a solitary bird who loved to forage.

Yes, patients and is a must. Much depends on the breed and character of a chick /chicken too. Some breeds are just too flighty to become pets ever.

For treatment I give them dryed mealworms, pieces of fruit, grains and boiled rice (not nutricious, but they love it).

I handle my birds from day 1 to adulthood for as often as I can.
My training method is:

#1. Handle all chicks equally.

#2. Wear Red.

#3. Give Treats

#4. 1 hour, or so of snuggle time.

#5. Talk to them.

Here's a video sample of a couple chicks who know me by recognizing my face, & voice.

I am one with the chickens.
How on earth did you get a chicken with a green feathered head?

Last edited:
Yes, patients and is a must. Much depends on the breed and character of a chick /chicken too. Some breeds are just too flighty to become pets ever.

For treatment I give them dryed mealworms, pieces of fruit, grains and boiled rice (not nutricious, but they love it).

Which one are you talking about?

Never mind I see what you're talking about. That's Poof before the Halloween poultry contest last year.
1023191358.jpg
This is her ready for the contest.

Here she is now, summer molting.
20200614_144818.jpg

I always sit outside with my chickens for a few minutes. They like me and come and hop up in my lap, I think you should sit outside with some treats they like. If you do this every day they will get used to you and start to see you as the treat lady, not a scary giant! 😄🐤

O.k firstly make a routine pick a time you can hang out with your chickens everyday without fail.
Do the same things everytime,if you sit always sit, if you sing songs,read a book, play on your phone then do it every time.
Get a treat cup,you'll always use it it will always stay the same too, those solo cups are perfect.
Get damned good treats,good enough to override natural fear, live mealworms are so good for this.
Now put treats in your cup and hang out with your chickens during the time you picked.
Give treats out sporadically while you hang out but announce you're doing it so they see you getting goodies from your cup.
Do this for a couple weeks and they'll love you because you have that awesome cup.:)

I have a comfortable chair and I do lots of sitting with mine. I will either read or play Candy Crush on my iPad. I try to make them hop in my lap for a meal worm and it works every time. I had three of them in my lap at once this afternoon. I also make sure that when I hand out mealworms I do one at a time so they have to come and take it from my hand and then they get a little petting too.

I handle my birds from day 1 to adulthood for as often as I can.
My training method is:

#1. Handle all chicks equally.

#2. Wear Red.

#3. Give Treats

#4. 1 hour, or so of snuggle time.

#5. Talk to them.

Here's a video sample of a couple chicks who know me by recognizing my face, & voice.

I am one with the chickens.
One of your reddish chickens has a green head?? I’m new to raising chickens, but I’ve never seen one like that!!

Back
Top Bottom