How do I make my chicken like me?

What type of treats should I feed them? I got mealworms, but only 2 of them like the mealworms, sometimes I feed them strawberries and they LOVE them, but what else?

My chickens LOVE watermelon and yogurt, not sure that the yogurt is good for them, some say yes, some say no. And maybe don't hold them for such a long time, you want them to come to you. My chickens do not want to be picked up BUT some do want to jump into my lap if I sit down or ride on my shoulder or arm Mine want it to be their choice.

My Chickie's act like parrots, they all just climb on me and sit on my arm or shoulder. Chickens think through their stomachs lol I just sit on a dryish part of grass, with a trowl or garden hand rake, and become part of the flock. Scratch in the ground, they will come investigate if you've found a bug, if you find one, make a cluck noise and give it to a chicken, they will learn what you say when you find a bug, and they will be your best friend. Every time I weed my vegetable garden, I bring them a handful of fresh weeds and all the worms, and grubs I've found while weeding, so they come running when they see me.

I currently have a group of orphans consisting of Aracauna, Icelandic, and Icelandic/Norwegian Jaerhon cross. They are about 5 weeks old now. At two weeks, their adoptive mama rejected them and they chose to move in with one of our dogs. Anyway, while they all immediately became dog-friendly, not all of that clutch are people-friendly. They will come to me when they know I'm about to feed or water them, but the Icelandics and NJ/icie crosses WILL NOT be caught! The Aracauna chicks, on the other hand, will look up to me and allow me to pick them up, or they'll just fly up onto my shoulder for no reason at all, other than just to chill and maybe scope out the environment from a high vantage point. Breed has a lot to do with behaviour and relationship with humans. As someone else had posted, the more skittish/less human-friendly chickens are the least susceptible to predation. This is a blessing ;)

A couple of mine love jumping on my back each time I come into flying distance! The one who loves riding me the most will completely FREAK OUT if I touch her though! If one hopps up... everyone hopps up, and before I know it everyone is squawking and pushing for space on my back! It is fun but can be really annoying when they try to ride you into your house! (I'm always scared they will poop on me!) soon as they see me they all run over, knowing I'm about to give them my food call. One has lept on my lap for pets and cuddles couple times, but she never stays for long. I can tell they like me, but they always have other things they would rather be doing than sitting on my lap for pets. Food is key... they will do anything for it! Talking is also important too!

Every time I go to the coop I take a plate of my kids leftovers... now as soon as they hear the back door they all stand to attention and if I start towards them they come running

They are 7 weeks old and ALWAYS run away from me, I tried moving slowly with not as strong movements but it didn't work, I have tried everything but they just dont like me, they are even scard when we walk into the room where they are to hold them, I hold them every single day for 1 hour. They are so scard, what should I do, how do I make them like me and follow me around, I was reading a thread were a chicken followed the owner around, how do I get that kind of trust, they are in a dog pen right now and there are 4 of them.
I dont ever force holding...just sit calmly with treats...let them come to you ...chicken's dont like to be held but love to sit on your lap or shoulders keep there favorite treat in your hands...eventually u don't need treats. Mine fight for my lap

I wouldn't worry too much yet. They're only 7 weeks. Mine are always skittish at this age. If you hang out with them and don't try to chase/force them to be close to you they'll calm down. I always figure around 20 weeks they've calmed down and will let you handle them and enjoy it. My 16 week olds will eat from my hand but still dash off when I put my hand out to pet them... whereas the 20week girls stand while I pet them and one of them kinda lays down on her side and gets comfy while I pet her

Honestly it takes time, just like with any relationship. We’ve had our hens from birth and it took some time for them to get used to my kids and myself. Consistent, kind, friendly behavior toward them is remembered. As are snacks and treats. We give them something fresh everyday like watermelon, cabbage or bananas. They also love dried solider fly larvae. Over time they’ve gotten used to these treats and kindnesses and when we come outside to them they think it’s treat time and come running. They also follow us around the yard sometimes if they think they’ll get a treat.
It just takes time and patience and kindness.

when you hold them place a hand over their backs. This feels like their mothers wing and makes them feel safe. Gently scratch them Uber their necks and breasts- they like that. Offer them treats. Ours love mealworms. Grapes, dandelion leaves, watermelon, etc. they adore my daughter (she has spent the most time with them). They come running when they see her. Me not so much.

These are all great ideas. Keep in mind, too, that just like us humans your chickens will have different personalities and preferences for contact. I've accepted that some of mine will always be more shy and skittish than others. Coming to the run with treats is always a big hit. Even my skittish girls associate me with things to eat. But sometimes I just sit quietly out there after the treat frenzy has died down and let them get used to me being a presence in their world. Even the shyer ones relax and often come scratching nearby when I'm not focusing attention on them or pushing them to like me. The ones that love the attention are definitely fun, but I like to think that even the wilder, more shy ones know they are safe and cared for.

Back
Top Bottom