How do I make or tell if my duck will be broody?

themightysteph

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Oregon
How do I make or tell if my duck will be broody? I would like to hatch my ducks egg.s I go and take them because she does not sit on them. Every time I look (at a distance they can't see me) they(both females) are always out of the nest box. I go in the coop daily or every other day they always try to get away..any advice on how I can get her broody or tell? Thanks

She will not go broody if you take the eggs. You can not make her go broody. The process is thought that the tactile stimulation of eggs on the brood patch change the prolactin levels and she gradually spends more time on the nest. When full time incubation is initiated, the first eggs are already a couple of days in development....the layer eggs accelerate development so they hatch at the same time.

Clint

She will not go broody if you take the eggs. You can not make her go broody. The process is thought that the tactile stimulation of eggs on the brood patch change the prolactin levels and she gradually spends more time on the nest. When full time incubation is initiated, the first eggs are already a couple of days in development....the layer eggs accelerate development so they hatch at the same time.

Clint
Clint, your saying that as she just spends time on the nest those eggs already begin to develop even though it's not full time yet? I always heard that the eggs didn't begin to develop till she was sitting 24/7. Very interesting.

Yes....she gradually spends more time on the nest and the eggs begin development. Lots of data from telemetry eggs in nests.

Clint

A great book is:

Deeming, D.C. 2002. Avian incubation: behaviour, environment, and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press.

Has a lot of data on nest attendance and egg temps.

Clint

Last edited:
Yes....she gradually spends more time on the nest and the eggs begin development. Lots of data from telemetry eggs in nests.

Clint

A great book is:

Deeming, D.C. 2002. Avian incubation: behaviour, environment, and evolution. Oxford Univ. Press.

Has a lot of data on nest attendance and egg temps.

Clint
Thank you.

It get cold at night here should I just put the two I collected back then? And id like them to imprint on me at what day can I take the eggs and put them in a hatcher?

Back
Top Bottom