How do I move my flock to a new coop?

windchime73

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
I just purchased a new coop and need to move the girls to their new home, but they all seem really uncomfortable around the new coop. It's set up in the fenced backyard where they free range during the day. Then they go into the garage in their old coop for the night. What should I do to transition them to the new place?

I would catch all of them when they go to roost and simply put them in the new coop. If you have to, keep them up in there a day or two(if it's big enough to hold all of them) untill they get used to it. If you let them out before they know where to roost, I'm sure they will try to go back to their old roosting places.

Move them at night and then keep them locked in the new coop for a couple of weeks. When we finished building our new one I only left them locked up for a couple of days and sure enough, they went back to the old ratty one at bed time. If you can block access to the old one you may get away with only locking them in the new one for a few days.....silly stuborn chickens
barnie.gif

They have to learn where 'home' is....like the OP said...take them out of the old coop after dark and move them to the new coop. Place them on the roost in the new (darkened) coop. Confine them for a few days to the new coop. It is OK to let them out IF they have an attached fenced run or area that is not too big. They should go in the new coop by themselves for a few days. Then you should be able to let them range. I would still block access to their old 'home' for a few extra days so they will not try to go there. Chickens are not crazy about changes but will adjust. And treats will help 'sweeten' the move.

Back
Top Bottom