How do I prepare a White Bird for a Show?

pete55

Songster
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
Suffolk, UK
Hi

Im planning to show my Seabstopol Geese (White) for the first time. Should I wash the bird before the show and any tips on getting a brilliant white appearance for show day??

Some of the trailing feather have a yellow stain and I want to present an immaculate appearance
hmm.png

Many thanks

Pete
wink.png

Quote:
I do not know how well it will work on waterfowl but for other birds I have used tide with bleach alternative, bluing shampoo will also work but it takes several baths..

hi Pete
Mum says to that there is a silk and wool washing machine liquid but the name of the other thing i cant remember but it is flacks also she hasn't seen any recently.

But all i can recommend is that you put them on clean water as much as possibly and then the night before the show when it is nearly dark try and give them a bathe, then put them in a pen full of clean straw I did this to my call before there show and they had a loot of mud on them.
I also just rinsed the silkies i had to blow dry them i also did this to the ducks because befor when i have washed them i didn't blow-dry they didn't look very good on there feathers.
I will get you the name of the flacks.

Last edited:
night before give them a bath with whitening soap. i say get the dark blue kind. and then rinse them in vinager after. it takes the soap out and makes the featehrs soft. put bag balm on its feet and rub some on its beak. thats what i did when i showed ducks and chickens.

PS..after washing them put then in a sacluded area with pine shavings to keep them clean, at the show spot wash them with baby wipes

Last edited:
Yes the blueing wash is best for white birds and will add that super white silvery shimmer to their feathers. WTS follow the directions if you use to much it will spell diaster and the bird will be streaked in grey/blue.

Hi All

Many thanks for all the advice and nice to see you on the forum Joe
wink.png

I'll look out for the shampoo and pleased to finally find out the purpose of the vinegar. They're not too dirtybut want them in pristine condition but also concenred about stripping the oils from the feathers. I think the softer feathers from the vinegar rinse will probably help with making them look 'full'in appearance.

Pete
wink.png

Yes i agree with Overrun With Chickens to use something like Vaseline on there feet and there beaks.
This gave my birds a real nise couler on there beaks and feet.

Hear is a pic.
97204_photo_sep_18_14_05_05.jpg

And one of the silkie which only needed rinsing
97204_photo_sep_18_16_13_42.jpg

Last edited:
Hi pete
The shampoo that you wont to use when you are planing on showing again is glow white And if needed use fairy liquid first, but make sure that you wash the glow white out well because if not the feathers go sticky.
Hope this helps in the future.
Thanks Joe

Back
Top Bottom