How do i rehome ducks to "pet" homes?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I'm trying to figure out how to sell My ducks to pet home, I really love them, and REALLY don't want them to be eaten! Any ideas on how to safely rehome them?

Thanks!

Which ducks? I noticed you have quite a few! Are they all going?? How old are they?? You could try craigslist but then you really don't know who's taing them! A shelter probably won't want them over winter! That is such a hard spot to be in cuz you really never know!!!! Maybe try listing them in classifieds on BYC!!! That could work!

ha, unfortunately it just part of the territory of breeding meat ducks. once you sell them or give them away they aren't yours anymore, people can do what they want with them. you can try advertise to sell as pets only but if you have lots the reality is some will get eaten.

As everyone else said, you can't control what happens to your ducks after you no longer own them. However, if you are rehoming them via Craigslist or BYC, etc, you can start a dialog up with the people taking them to see what their intentions are. But remember, not everyone is going to be honest about their intentions...so if you are brave and have a big strong hubby like me (6'5" 300+ lbs) you can take the ducks to their new home to see where and how they are going to live. Again, this is no guarantee, but if they are going to a home that is "sketchy" you can decide not to rehome them to that person.

As a former 20+ year vegetarian, getting over people eating my ducks was hard, but I knew I gave them a much better life of pastures, whole grain feed, clean water and freedom. And I have been switching over to raising banty ducks so the few I need to rehome are less likely to be eaten :)

Good luck!

Korina

As everyone else said, you can't control what happens to your ducks after you no longer own them. However, if you are rehoming them via Craigslist or BYC, etc, you can start a dialog up with the people taking them to see what their intentions are. But remember, not everyone is going to be honest about their intentions...so if you are brave and have a big strong hubby like me (6'5" 300+ lbs) you can take the ducks to their new home to see where and how they are going to live. Again, this is no guarantee, but if they are going to a home that is "sketchy" you can decide not to rehome them to that person.

As a former 20+ year vegetarian, getting over people eating my ducks was hard, but I knew I gave them a much better life of pastures, whole grain feed, clean water and freedom. And I have been switching over to raising banty ducks so the few I need to rehome are less likely to be eaten :)

Good luck!

Korina
I'm making room for some SQ welsh harlequin ducks, and the rouens have to go so i can keep 2 breeding trios. Plus my pair of anconas, and some silkie ducks.

I have no hubby, Not even a BF. HECK!, lol, i barely have a dad!
lol.png
.... And my mom could care less where the birds go.

I might try putting a sign at the end of my road for them once i need them gone. Maybe that would help.

I'm sure the hens will go as layers, as thats what most people are looking or, but I'm worried my sweet rouen drake will go to a freezer :'(

I really wish i went with JUST bantam ducks, then i wouldn't need to worry about them going to the freezer :(

If you advertise on Craigslist, use the pet section and not the livestock section. Emphasize that they are very tame. If it is a drake, be sure to say that he has a very quiet voice. It is easier to get a pet home for a duck than it is to get a pet home for a rooster. Or at least, a yard ornament home.

I know that the ducks I've sold have gone to some pretty good homes, but I am selling quality purebreds and selling in pairs and trios, so they are going either to be foundation stock or else to improve someone else's flock. So that is one way to protect your ducks when they leave your place: nobody buys expensive purebred exhibition quality ducks for their dinner table.

It you are going to be hatching, you are going to have to deal with disposing of excess drakes. If the drakes are pet quality, there is a very good chance they are going to get eaten. If you can't face that, then don't hatch.

I don't plan on hatching any of my PQ rouens, that is exactly why they are leaving. I have one friend here who wants some eggs from me to have some pets, but i wont be hatching any of them.

I'm trying to sell of/give away all my PQ birds, and make room for my SQ line welsh harlequins.

Good idea on putting them in the pet section blues! I am going to do that!

Sorry to hear you don't have much if any support. I am very lucky that my hubby loves animals as much as I do.

If your drake (or other ducks) is truly docile, you might contact a 4H group and see if they have a youngster or two in need of a showmanship animal. From what I understand, birds don't have to be SQ, but they need to be something the kids can handle.

And I agree with Oregon Blues and you on trying to only breed from the best stock so you will have an animal people are more likely to buy your critters to keep and show. That is what I have been working on for the last two years - slowly rehoming my PQ stock and learning about and finding show quality stock that I can raise a few lovely little chicks and ducks from.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear you don't have much if any support. I am very lucky that my hubby loves animals as much as I do.

If your drake (or other ducks) is truly docile, you might contact a 4H group and see if they have a youngster or two in need of a showmanship animal. From what I understand, birds don't have to be SQ, but they need to be something the kids can handle.

And I agree with Oregon Blues and you on trying to only breed from the best stock so you will have an animal people are more likely to buy your critters to keep and show. That is what I have been working on for the last two years - slowly rehoming my PQ stock and learning about and finding show quality stock that I can raise a few lovely little chicks and ducks from.

Good luck!
None of my ducks are really skiddish, except my welsh harlequins (working with my drake right now to try and get him to be calm, i wanna use him as my bird for 4H Shows) but they also do not want to be handled. My rouen drake is probably the calmest one I have, then its my two rouen hens and my ancona hen. 8 out of 12 of my ducks are practically WILD!

If they don't need to be SQ, then my rouen drake would be a good bird to take to a 4H show i guess, hes a sweet boy, pretty laid back too.

Back
Top Bottom