How do I reintroduce an injured hen to her flock??

Lin Dixie

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Hi there,

I need some advice, please. I posted a couple weeks ago about our hen Daisy, who had an injury. It turned out to be a puncture to her abdomen, we'd originally thought it was a prolapse, but nope, it was an internal organ sticking out. Someone here on the forum referred me to a vet who fixed her up. The unknown body part was actually her oviduct, which has been repaired (yes, really!) and she's laying eggs again....almost ready to be reintroduced to the flock.

She's been living in a large dog crate in our bathroom for a couple of weeks, and my poor husband is about at his wits end.

Before she was injured, she'd been with this group of hens literally since day 1. They're 10 months old now. Since we've obviously put time and money into fixing this bird, we don't want her to get beaten up when she's ready to go back out. I plan to keep her in the coop in a big wire crate for a week or two, then put her on a roost with the rest of the bunch some evening after dark.

Is this the right thing to do?? Please let me know if you have experience introducing one new bird to a flock (we have 16 total), I want to make sure we do it right.

Thanks!
Lin

That might be a real good approach. I think I'd also try letting her with the others toward then end of the day, or at treat time, under supervision -- especially if you have a back yard or other large area where they can get away from each other or even hide. If you can identify a bully or flock leader, head of the pecking order, it might also help to remove that chicken for a while when you introduce the injured one.

Back
Top Bottom