HOW DO I STOP A CHICKEN FROM BEING BROODY??????????????

One of my Buffs went broody 5 days ago. I let her stay in the nestbox for 2 days, and she didn't come out unless I took her out, then she'd run right back in. I took her to a friend's house, put her in a pen by herself for the last 3 days. Just brought her back, and she ran right into the nestbox again!! I DON'T want chicks, so, HELP ME PLEASE!!

I had a young pullet go broody, I let her set eggs but on the 18th day she pecked an egg open and killed the chick, I took her remaining eggs from her and that night transfered her to a hanging wire cage with just food and water, after two full days and nights I took her back to the coop, at night, and sat her on the roost. she was broke :)

One of my Buffs went broody 5 days ago. I let her stay in the nestbox for 2 days, and she didn't come out unless I took her out, then she'd run right back in. I took her to a friend's house, put her in a pen by herself for the last 3 days. Just brought her back, and she ran right into the nestbox again!! I DON'T want chicks, so, HELP ME PLEASE!!

do it again... it may take a few times .....

On edit..
If the pen was isolated and she was in a quiet warm place with nesting material she will stay broody... She needs to be placed off the floor, in a wire cage with no hay under her...A few chilly nights like that will help your situation :)

Last edited:
The problem is you can break a broody hen successfully using the above-mentioned methods but it rarely works for very long. They'll break, resume laying and after a few weeks, they'll go back to being broody.

I've had about 30 broody hens this year alone - sometimes a dozen or more at any given time. I totally get the "I don't want more chicks" feeling. But, in years of experience I've found that a hen will rarely give up on her own, and if she does, it is only for a short time and then she's right back at it. So, my incubator runs almost constantly, hatching heritage BR and NH chicks. I give each hen one or at the most two chicks to raise. I figure I can always sell the purebred pullets, and eat the cockerels and that is my solution to not ending up with too many birds to be fed over the winter when they're not even laying much. Meanwhile, I collect every egg from every hen every day. If I didn't, each broody hen would choose to sit on a clutch, out of which would hatch mostly mixed breed birds, and I'd be overrun in no time.

Back
Top Bottom