How do I tame my chicks??!!

Thanks for all of your help guys! I guess I will continue to hold them and offer them meal worms (they go crazy for them) and I will do slow movements when I put my hand in their brooder. I will tell you guys if they are getting any calmer or anything.

mine are on the verge...3 of the 9 will literally be in my way when i change their water looking for something good. mine are all 4 weeks old today actually. 3 will let me hold them, another one or 2 will let me pet them...and then 2 others will come to my hand but stay just outta reach.

i noticed if i start diggin in their bedding with my fingers, as if i was a mamma hen scratching, they will all run up to my hand to see whats happening...until they realize its my hand then they run back away, lol

mine are on the verge...3 of the 9 will literally be in my way when i change their water looking for something good. mine are all 4 weeks old today actually. 3 will let me hold them, another one or 2 will let me pet them...and then 2 others will come to my hand but stay just outta reach.

i noticed if i start diggin in their bedding with my fingers, as if i was a mamma hen scratching, they will all run up to my hand to see whats happening...until they realize its my hand then they run back away, lol
Haha!

i have some squeaky steps that lead down to my "veranda" if you will, where the chicks are. steps squeak and the chicks start peeping back at me,
LOL! I should try that! By now I dont care if I look like a idoit doing all of this stuff...
gig.gif

I have read many say don't, and some say it's fine in small doses. It's certainly a treat item, though - not a staple.

I avoid giving bread to my animals; but, that's personal bias.

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice! Im a little afraid if I try picking up one of the chicks today that they will lose all of their trust of me.... Should I still do it?

Thanks for your advice! Im a little afraid if I try picking up one of the chicks today that they will lose all of their trust of me.... Should I still do it?

Yes, absolutely. They need to be handled - just do not move fast and approach them from the side. I place my hand into the brooder very slowly, then rotate it around, palm up, and move toward the chicks. My Dorkings will jump right into my hand....all the rest of them I have to be a bit more insistent with. But, if you move slowly - sometimes having a piece of mealworm or millet that reflects the light as you move your hand - they will let you pick them up. For most breeds takes time for them to get to the point that they don't run from you (some longer than others); but, with patience and quiet movement, they will learn to trust you.

Back
Top Bottom