how do i tell if i have a male or a female duck??

So does the quacking/tail curl thing hold true for Muscovy ducks? I have 6, and got them in mid-May as young ducklings (owner had no idea what ages they were, but all different).
They are still all different sizes.

Nope, for them it's all size, now later on, drakes hiss.. females, coo, trill, quack and hiss lol BUT size gives it away long before that. Drakes are big, big feet, legs, body.. overall etc..

Here two from my June hatch, ducklet in front, drakelet in back

Well, unfortunately I got these from a man who had oodles and oodles of ducks, so no telling when they were born.. All different times and from different clutches, no doubt. <heavy sigh> I guess I'll have to wait until they are all old enough to hiss or trill! LOL I took some better pics today, and was trying to decide who had wing feathers in already. Don't know if these help or not, but here they are:

Well, unfortunately I got these from a man who had oodles and oodles of ducks, so no telling when they were born.. All different times and from different clutches, no doubt. <heavy sigh> I guess I'll have to wait until they are all old enough to hiss or trill! LOL I took some better pics today, and was trying to decide who had wing feathers in already. Don't know if these help or not, but here they are:

The bird in the above picture (facing right closest to camera) appears male based on leg thickness

He said they were all only Muscovy. They certainly appeared to only be Muscovy, to my untrained eye anyway.
wink.png

The bird in the above picture (facing right closest to camera) appears male based on leg thickness
That is what I was thinking when I took that picture. And actually what I thought of at least 3, if not 4 of my 6 ducks while taking these pictures. I am watching my dream of duck eggs fly out of the window....
th.gif

Last edited:
I'm kinda in same boat as you. I just got 4 new ones yesterday from some one with a lot of Muscovies of varying ages. I was shooting for 3 ducks and 1 drake and I'm afraid it's the other way around now that I see them next to my females (from different breeder) that are at least 6 weeks older. We'll see who gets way bigger and who stays same size in a couple of weeks.

I'm kinda in same boat as you. I just got 4 new ones yesterday from some one with a lot of Muscovies of varying ages. I was shooting for 3 ducks and 1 drake and I'm afraid it's the other way around now that I see them next to my females (from different breeder) that are at least 6 weeks older. We'll see who gets way bigger and who stays same size in a couple of weeks.
Yeah....I'm screwed. LOL I just don't know what to do about it. Try to go get more females, and hope that THEY don't turn out to be males, too? Get rid of the males? I can't afford to buy grown ducks from this man. He charged me $5 per duckling, but wants $30 each for grown ducks...

He's got to have some 'teenagers' on hand. How are you looking for breeders/sellers? In my area 2-3 month olds are going for $5-$10. And there are atleast 5 ads on craigslist within 1.5 hour drive of my house. I'll keep buying at these prices if I need to get the male to female ratio I want but at this moment I don't want more than 2 males so someone may be destined for the table.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom