How do I tell if my chicken is sick or broody?? and what do I do its zero degrees!!

AlienMarie26

In the Brooder
Feb 5, 2021
hi my sweet baby Felicity Anne would not leave her nest yesterday starting around 3pm or so. I figured by around 5 that she might be broody because she wouldn't eat or go roost. she is a VERY rambunctious and adventurous chicken who is extremely food motivated so this was certainly unusual. I was able to slowly move her from the nest to the roost, she ate and drank a bit and went to bed. this morning she was back at it, trying to get into her nest which I had blocked off. She wouldn't eat or drink and kept trying to sit in her nest and other parts of the coops so I eventually kicked her and her sister out to try to get them to scratch around in the dirt. Felicity Anne ate a bit but hasn't had any water and is not interested in her favorite snacks and is only mildly interested in digging. I herded them to a sunny part of their run but she is still just standing all puffed up and not moving. she keeps trying to sit down which sounds like it could mean she has a cold? Her crop is also pretty large and firm despite not eating very much. As of not both chickens have gone to roost, almost 2 hours earlier than usual. I just want tell exactly what the problem is so I am thinking of taking her to the vet. My other option is to get antibiotics from the feed store but I am worried that she could die overnight since its so cold and she hasnt been eating or drinking much?? I am not sure what else to do!! I wouldn't be as concerned if it was not so cold. Please help!! Any advice is appreciated this is my first chicken winter!

:welcome

Sounds like she's cold. Bring her in your house to unthaw her and give her some warm oatmeal. (While you're making her oatmeal, massage her crop! She might have Sour Crop.) She's probably going into the nesting box to warm herself, and, if she has Sour, or Impacted Crop, to escape her crop's pain.

:welcome

Sounds like she's cold. Bring her in your house to unthaw her and give her some warm oatmeal. (While you're making her oatmeal, massage her crop! She might have Sour Crop.) She's probably going into the nesting box to warm herself, and, if she has Sour, or Impacted Crop, to escape her crop's pain.
Thank you!! I was told not to bring her inside because I have winterized her and want to be able to keep her outside. But I have been massaging her crop! but that makes sense which is why I am thinking maybe I should take her to the vet because I am not nearly experienced enough to empty it.

Thank you!! I was told not to bring her inside because I have winterized her and want to be able to keep her outside. But I have been massaging her crop! but that makes sense which is why I am thinking maybe I should take her to the vet because I am not nearly experienced enough to empty it.
I know not to bring them inside, but if she is freezing, I'd bring her inside to unthaw her and give her some warm oatmeal. Then, bring her back out. :) I had to do that with a rooster who almost froze to death. It's just a way to give her a head start to the cold. ;)
Hmm, and the massaging isn't helping? It could be painful (this could be why she's acting the way she is). Is there a possibility that she ate something that she wasn't supposed to? I don't have any experience on emptying out a crop either, except for a surgery that me and my Mom did with one of my hens. I hope that your little girl will get better soon! :hugs

Do you have access to an avian vet?
I'd hold off on any antibiotics until you know what's wrong.

Zero C or F?
Might think about some electrolytes, small batch recipe here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Agrees bringing her inside might cause more problems than not.

Welcome to BYC @AlienMarie26 sorry you're having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1612565144427.png

I know not to bring them inside, but if she is freezing, I'd bring her inside to unthaw her and give her some warm oatmeal. Then, bring her back out. :) I had to do that with a rooster who almost froze to death. It's just a way to give her a head start to the cold. ;)
Hmm, and the massaging isn't helping? It could be painful (this could be why she's acting the way she is). Is there a possibility that she ate something that she wasn't supposed to? I don't have any experience on emptying out a crop either, except for a surgery that me and my Mom did with one of my hens. I hope that your little girl will get better soon! :hugs
Thank you so much!! I really appreciate it!! The massaging might be helping? I cant tell because i only recently realized an hour or so ago that it might be that. Does massaging it usually help quickly?

Do you have access to an avian vet?
I'd hold off on any antibiotics until you know what's wrong.

Zero C or F?
Might think about some electrolytes, small batch recipe here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

When I have a bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Agrees bringing her inside might cause more problems than not.

Welcome to BYC @AlienMarie26 sorry you're having troubles.
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2517809
Thank you!!! I can take her to the local exotic pet vet which sees chickens so hopefully they will know? I have a dog kennel I was thinking I could use for that but Im nervous about disrupting her sleeping routine? Would it stress the two birds out to be apart? They are very bonded and have never been separated. but of course if it is something contagious I dont want it to spread.

Her crop is also pretty large and firm despite not eating very much.

Check it in the morning, before she gets a chance to eat.
A healthy chicken crop is stuffed full at bedtime, but empty in the morning.

I've had broody hens where I didn't see them eat, but their crop was nicely full at least once a day when I checked--they seem to gobble their food fast so they can go back to the nest, rather than munching all day long like most chickens do.

give her some warm oatmeal.

I wouldn't.
If her crop is full, she does not need more food tonight.

And in general, I would give wet chicken food instead. (Just add water to their usual food, and they think it's a treat.) It's quicker & easier than oatmeal, and is better for the chicken. And just like oatmeal, it's warm and wet and they eat it happily.

Thank you!!! I can take her to the local exotic pet vet which sees chickens so hopefully they will know? I have a dog kennel I was thinking I could use for that but Im nervous about disrupting her sleeping routine? Would it stress the two birds out to be apart? They are very bonded and have never been separated. but of course if it is something contagious I dont want it to spread.
sorry I am not used to this platform formatting yet! It is currently 14 degrees F but is supposed to drop to -6 :(

Check it in the morning, before she gets a chance to eat.
A healthy chicken crop is stuffed full at bedtime, but empty in the morning.

I've had broody hens where I didn't see them eat, but their crop was nicely full at least once a day when I checked--they seem to gobble their food fast so they can go back to the nest, rather than munching all day long like most chickens do.

I wouldn't.
If her crop is full, she does not need more food tonight.

And in general, I would give wet chicken food instead. (Just add water to their usual food, and they think it's a treat.) It's quicker & easier than oatmeal, and is better for the chicken. And just like oatmeal, it's warm and wet and they eat it happily.
Okay yes hopefully her crop is just full from food, I wish I had known sooner so I could compare it to how it normally is! Because her sisters is like almost unnoticeable in comparison so now im like did that one not get enough food??
and yes actually they dont like oatmeal but they do love wet food

Back
Top Bottom