1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How do I tell what gender my ducks are?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sgsf, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Sgsf

Sgsf Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    My topic title basically states the question. I'm honestly confused at what gender they are, and they need some names.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:well we need some pics and ages and we'll help ya. other than that most ducks unless Muscovy will get a drake feather at the bottom of their tail it will curl up I think at about 5 months. and the other way is by listening to their quack, girls quack real loud boys more of a soft raspy noise, again except Muscovies.

3. Duckey1650

Duckey1650 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2011
    Males have one curled feather in their tail when they get older. If you are trying to sex the little ones, listen to them. The females will be Mouthy; The higher pitched cheep. Males will only mutter lower pitched cheeps.

4. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:well we need some pics and ages and we'll help ya. other than that most ducks unless Muscovy will get a drake feather at the bottom of their tail it will curl up I think at about 5 months. and the other way is by listening to their quack, girls quack real loud boys more of a soft raspy noise, again except Muscovies.

I believe I have Chocolate Muscovies....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Anyone?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful and I'm thinking 2 drakes. just looking at the carnicles. how old are they?

7. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:They are at 5 months.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They are at least 3 months. I'm not sure if they are 4, but I'd probably just stick with 3.

They look like twins. are they sibs? heres my duckling at 10 weeks. [​IMG]
    just to get an idea about the carnicles. [Drake]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  9. Sgsf

May 4, 2010
    Quote:They are at least 3 months. I'm not sure if they are 4, but I'd probably just stick with 3.

They look like twins. are they sibs? heres my duckling at 10 weeks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42327_img_2354.jpg

Sorry, we just confirmed it's 5 months, not 3.

And I'm not too sure. We got them from a lady that was selling them together, and we bought both of them. They have grown up together, also.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:They look like twins. are they sibs? heres my duckling at 10 weeks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/42327_img_2354.jpg

Sorry, we just confirmed it's 5 months, not 3.

And I'm not too sure. We got them from a lady that was selling them together, and we bought both of them. They have grown up together, also.

Then I'd say for sure drakes. they are handsome boys, are you going to add some girls into the mix?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by