How do I tell when okra is ready?

Try some boiled okra...... boil until tender...drain...salt and pepper...butter(lots)...Apple cider vinegar(about 2T). Forgot to say boil whole pods,stem on. Yum yum slimey heaven!

Love okra... I had about 50 plants last year... I cut the pods off at 4-5 inches. If you go to slice the pod up, and it's hard to cut, you may want to pass on it, they should cut like butter almost. I've not tried frying the whole pod but will this year.

I think four inches is the maximum length for good pods and between two to three inches are the best. So long as you keep cutting it it'll keep producing for you all the way until frost if you keep the water regulary and fertilize once or twice a season.

Fried okra is my favorite, but it's good cooked with tomatoes and beef and in gumbo.

We like our okra small, probably about 2 inches. I blanch and then freeze them for gumbo. Gumbo is wonderful in the winter. Like soup, I toss in whatever I have handy. I save chicken scraps, It. sausage, and even sometimes buy a few frozen shrimp. Served with either cornbread or Texas style garlic bread, so good. IMO, a blooming okra plant is pretty in the garden.

Quote:
Love okra and tomatoes

Love okra in my cornbread

Love picked okra

Love okra raw (when little)
okra for soup - yes
okra in ratatouille
okra stir fried

Eat okra like a maniac!!!!!!

Do I sound like an okra nut?
Love it!

Last edited:
This is what Southern fried Okra looks like, per Acre. She made these.

7163_southern_fried_okra.jpg

Back
Top Bottom