How do I treat my sick rooster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yowza Wowza

Sí Se Puede
9 Years
Sep 30, 2014
California
I noticed him sneezing and having a weird voice when he crows ( sore throat possibly?). Also his noises when he's in danger sound muffled. How do I treat him? My hen had it first and I think it spread. She's occasionally sick at this time in the year and recovers nicely. This is my roosters first time being sick, right now i gave him penicillin antibiotics in his water. Is that any good? What are your recommendations?

My recommendation is to find out what's wrong. Respiratory issues can be viral, fungal, environmental, parasitic, nutritional as well as bacterial things antibiotics can't cure.
Try to find an avian vet with poultry experience to do lab work. I know, they're really hard to find.
Otherwise, prophylactically treating with antibiotics can just prolong the problem and contribute to resistant bacteria.

Look around at your coop and run for any signs of moisture from spilled water and feed on bedding to a drainage problem, where mold can form. Mold can cause aspergillosis, a chronic respiratory disease that can also cause neurological problems. Excessive heat in a coop, poor ventilation, and over crowding can all cause problems. If you have seen this before, I would get a sick bird tested for MG through your state vet. Here is a good link on the respiratory diseases along with symptoms and treatment suggestions: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

That's good. Have you treated him with anything special, or is he getting better on his own?
Sorry for the bad grammar, I wrote it on the phone and kept exiting out.

He's recovering on his own! His crow doesn't seem that muffled anymore. Hope he makes a full recovery
fl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom