How do I trim her beak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gypsi, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

This is penguin, the americauna chick I bought, with 4 others, last Saturday. She is still hanging in there, I'm deep dish feeding, but she is now half the size of the other chicks. Someone said I would have to trim her beak. The question is how? I have kept a cross-beaked cockatiel but I didn't trim her beak (no one else had either). She lived to be about 7 yrs old, I had her the last year of her life.

Penguin:
    [​IMG]

Any tips would be appreciated it. I may have to have my granddaughter come out and hold her while I do this, so no blood? I hope?

Gypsi

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Penguins beak doesn't look like a candidate for trimming. It is possible that it may grow differently as she gets older, after the head and jaws are fully grown out.
    Can you give us another pic from the front?

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  4. Gypsi

Got a super closeup, a little fuzzy since I couldn't view the screen while shooting it.

Penguin's beak
    [​IMG]

5. Gypsi

top view with other chicks
    [​IMG]

front view
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Ouch, that's a bad one. Almost looks like her jaw was broken. Does it move ok? I would be pulling on it to see if it was broken, or dislocated.
    I don't think I can help you on trimming it, just make sure she can get food down, and drink ok.
    I am afraid to give you advise, because that is a nasty looking one. Let's see if anyone else can help tonite.... I'm sorry I can't.

7. Gypsi

I tugged at it and gently attempted to straighten it when I first discovered it (right after a plastic lid had been knocked into the chicks box, thinking it was broken, since we hadn't closely examined them before that happened (like 15 mins after I got home). No sign that the plastic plant tray injured any of them, it's lightweight.

I believe she was born that way. No movement whatsoever. I told the kids that she probably wouldn't make it, but if we took her back they would probably put her down, and I do my best to have deep food and water so she can eat and drink. We are in acceptance that she has as many days as her creator gave her, but if a beak trim would have helped, I'd have been willing to learn to trim. I just don't want to hurt her either.

The other thread suggested that trimming might help, so I posted this. Going out to bring my babies in. Getting dark.

Thank you,

Gypsi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by