How do Isterilize a used coop?

I have a pressure washer. I was going to spray it down with plain water first.

I was going to add bleach to the soap bottle attached to the pressure washer. Online it says use vinegar. That seems way too mild.

Peroxide detergent like oxiclean?
Be careful running bleach through a pressure washer. Most manufacturers recommend against it.

I would use a steam cleaner. A lot safer than a burner. No chemicals needed and kills mite too. Only the eggs of the red blood/bird mite in hidden cracks survive. But you probably don’t have any mites in this as good as new coop at all. So 2 x cleaning with a steamer, with 10 days in between should be fine.

I bought one against dust mite in the house. A good cleaning tool for lots of things.

I would use a steam cleaner. A lot safer than a burner. No chemicals needed and kills mite too. Only the eggs of the red blood/bird mite in hidden cracks survive. But you probably don’t have any mites in this as good as new coop at all. So 2 x cleaning with a steamer, with 10 days in between should be fine.

I bought one against dust mite in the house. A good cleaning tool for lots of things.

Makes sense. Seems safer than playing with a torch.

Give it a fresh coat of paint. Will seal crevices in the wood where mites hide. Or just fill a spray bottle with water and white vinegar and spray the inside of the coop down.

Give it a fresh coat of paint. Will seal crevices in the wood where mites hide. Or just fill a spray bottle with water and white vinegar and spray the inside of the coop down.
Best way to paint a coop is with lime paint for pigeon lofts. It helps against parasites (mites) if you paint the inside of the coop every year in spring (old traditional method).

Best way to paint a coop is with lime paint for pigeon lofts. It helps against parasites (mites) if you paint the inside of the coop every year in spring (old traditional method).

This is good to know. So where do you buy lime paint? I don’t think I’ve seen at Home Depot.

This is good to know. So where do you buy lime paint? I don’t think I’ve seen at Home Depot.
I don’t know for the US. In the Netherlands you can buy it at shops like TS. Maybe you can buy it as loft white?
1602281717456.jpeg

Hi,

My SIL gave me her old coop. How do I sterilize quickly sterilize a coop for biosecurity? Her four chickens lived in it up until yesterday.

The coop is still on my hubby’s truck outside. I am too chicken to bring it in. Our chickens free range in our enclosed backyard.
What I do every year is clean it the coop. Empty it out completely. Do a wash with bleach and water one big pair of warm water and 1/2 cup of bleach. With an old broom I wasn’t the walls, rack, hen holes and floors. Let it sit for a few minutes then I rinse it out with water. Then once’s dry I use the same stuff they use for cattle farms. It’s a white power. It just help with bacteria build up. Put it on the walls and floors. So I spray the stuff I little amounts. Then I add the new ending, food and water. And my chimes are happy. I do it every year now for 5 years and non of my chimes died. love chicken lady

Hi,

My SIL gave me her old coop. How do I sterilize quickly sterilize a coop for biosecurity? Her four chickens lived in it up until yesterday.

The coop is still on my hubby’s truck outside. I am too chicken to bring it in. Our chickens free range in our enclosed backyard.

I would agree with the pressure wash and bleach, after its dry... maybe apply a coat or 2 of paint help seal it up a little too

Back
Top Bottom