How do u all get Chicks to eat the yogurt?

iamsara

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 22, 2011
Sonoma, Ca
Hello all~~
My chicks are only 6 almost 7 days old. i had a pasty butt chick and am concerned to get yogurt into her. it was an ordeal to get the dried poops off her and dont want to do it tomorrow!
fl.gif

When i put 2 diffferent samples in there, hours later no go. they dont like it. firstly, plain yogurt mixed w chick feed and water, second, later, straight plain yogurt.

is it that they are just too young by a few days?
hu.gif

what else can i do?
thanks in advance!
jumpy.gif

To start with, I just sprinkled their chick starter on top of a thin layer of yogurt. They went for the food and ate the yogurt, too! Now, 9 weeks later, they will eat almost anything that I give them.
smile.png

You won't need to mix water with it...try picking the chick up and then dabbing a bit of yogurt on her beak. Usually the bright color is enough to attract them, though. Don't serve it on a white dish, try it on your finger; maybe they couldn't see it.

I usually have to serve it a couple times before they show any interest in it...
This year I tried a probiotic in their water at the first pasty butt. It worked great, it was the only one that occurred!!!

I couldn't get my chicks interested in yogurt...until I tapped the spoon on the side of the box. It sounded like a chick pecking so they all came scrambling to check it out. I smeared some on the wall and their curiosity got them going and started pecking away. I slowly slipped my baby spoon of yogurt in the midst and the rest is history. They now love yogurt and they love the baby spoon (and only the baby spoon)
smile.png

I cook some oatmeal, let it cool some so it doesn't kill the active cultures in the yogurt and I mix the yogurt in that and they eat every bit of it.
When mine see me coming with the black pans they come running!

I mix the yogurt with scrambled egg and sprinkle chick starter on top. Once one tries it, the rest will follow. BTW....I keep a dish of sand in the brooder and have never had a problem with pasty butt.
wink.png

big_smile.png

awesome, thanks for the ideas!
I thought it was weird they didnt go right for it, as the older hens absolutely love yogurt! its so cute the noises they make.

I Did put it on a white jar top! thats funny about colour. i will change it and see if they see it better. interesting.

i will try the spoon too.
i did touch their beaks to it, but they didnt like it. spent time rubbing it off on the floor!
its prob just a new thing to them.
i think plain yogurt is best, as sugar isnt good for them. but the colour thing is a good idea. maybe berry yogurt or something.
thanks and blessings!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom