How do we manage to get into these situations? Collected another "Slightly Damaged Stray"...

I am anxiously awaiting the farrier too, but he's got his surgery today, and then we'll get him home Thursday and go from there. The poor guy has had something happening every single day since Friday. I imagine he's getting pretty tired of all this mess.

After his surgery and his hoofs done, and lots of good eats, he should be feeling much better! Again, bless you for doing all this. He so appreciates you and so do we!
hugs.gif

Em, I'm so glad you took him in. If you create a Facebook page, I'll be glad to share it!

Gus has a page. If anyone wants info on him, they can PM me and I'll send the information.

The latest "GusDate"...

He's home from the vet. He'll have to have 3 shots once a day for 2 days, and probiotics on Thursday, but he's home!
wee.gif

He can't even come out of the stall for two weeks, and then it's another 2 weeks of very light exercise Poor boy is sore and not feeling his best right now. I've been out with him since he came home, got a few pictures, and gave him lots of hugs, rubs, and kisses. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks that horse wasn't worth the money we're pouring into him are the crazy ones...that boy is amazing. Even after all the movement, the excitement, the surgery, the new places and everything he's been through before coming here, he is still calm, sweet, and loving scratches. I think he thinks we're starving him to death, because he wants MORE MORE MORE, but of course we have to start him back eating slowly...he ate three scoops of feed tonight like it was nothing at all, and when he saw the round bale of hay, I am pretty sure he thought he'd died and gone to heaven.
gig.gif

Anyway, a few pictures of Gus today...might just be me, but I think he's already put on a little weight. He certainly has a brighter look in his eyes, and he's holding his head up higher.

Looking good! How much experience do you have with riding, training, breaking, etc.? There are many things that you can be doing now while he is not feeling well that he will pay little attention to, but that will help later. One thing I suggest is to drape a lead rope over him while you are walking around him. Lay it over his neck and pull it off slowly. Lay it over his back and pull it off and let it bump his legs. Do the same over his rump, shoulders, head, ears, tail and let it bump and graze and wrap around his legs. Don't let it get tangled or looped back on itself, just use the end. Do the same with a longe whip, using both the lash and the handle ends. The other is to touch him all over, and I mean ALL OVER. Run your hands over every inch of his body including inside his ears, nose, mouth (careful!) between his front and back legs, all over his belly and legs. Start slowly with familiar areas and work slowly in the areas that he is not used to being touched. Make sure to position yourself so that he will do little harm if he gets upset and rears or kicks. Will he pick up his feet for you? That is another thing that can be done while he is calm and not at his best. Once he gets to feeling good, it may be more difficult as he will have more pent up energy to blow off! One last unsolicited suggestion. Sorry! Start now on voice commands. Both of you need to agree on what will be used and both need to use them the same way. I use "waaalllk" slow, soothing, and drawn out. Say it that way whenever he is being lead or even if he is following you at a walk. He needs to associate the word with the gait. I use "jog" short and sharp with emphasis on the 'g' for trot. I say "HOPE!" for stop and "Whhoooa" for settle down or calmdown or as reassurance if my horse is getting excited or nervous. Then I use "caann-TER!" for a slow gallop. Once he knows walk, jog and hope, then teaching him to lounge will be easy and so will guiding once you are on his back. Heavy breeds are typically gentle and easy to handle and train so you may be surprised at what you can do yourself. I wish I were closer, and I could come over in the afternoons and help you with him, wouldn't that be fun? I miss training.....

Pretty pretty boy. Almost a shame he had to be gelded ( I prefer stallions) He's gonna be worth every cent you spend on him.

Lisa

Wisher, I have very little experience with horses. My uncle raised and broke horses, so when I was a kid I was around them often...but I grew up working cows with cattle dogs and four wheeler. We didn't use horses. Gus will be my first horse. Actually, he's sorta my dream horse come to life...I always wanted a big draft horse, and always liked the gray color...most of the time I just stand there looking at him...can't believe my luck.
love.gif
(Pretty sure MFB stands there looking at us both thinking the same thing..."Can't believe my luck...
hmm.png
")

Sparky, the trainer, has his own ways of doing things, and I don't want to interfere. There's not many people I trust completely, but Sparky is one of them. He knows horses, and he knows *I* don't know horses...so he'll be training him, and also me. Couldn't interfere even if I wanted to though, since I can't do much with Gus except baby him while he's recovering anyway. Kicking or rearing would make him tear his stitches, and as the vet said "His guts will fall out."
sickbyc.gif
He's being really amazing though. I brushed him under his belly, on his feet, the insides of his feet, face, rear end, he's really not touchy anywhere. Pretty amazing I think for a wild horse. It's hard to remember that sometimes...that this is essentially a wild horse. He was in that big wooded pasture alone, and never touched. Hard to believe...considering how sweet he is.

Back
Top Bottom