How do y'all do it?

kaybats

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Maybe just feeling my age, (had a b-day recently, sigh.) Haven't been on here for a bit, just so exhausted at the end of the day.

If ya didn't know, I had a bit of a Cocci outbreak recently. Altogether, lost 3 Buffs and 2 white rocks. But a couple of weeks ago, farmer down the road gave me 2 one year old RIRs ( I think they might be a mix, they are not as "red" as my 3 younger ones.) and a mixed roo...not sure how old he is, but he has some well developed spurs!

94725_img_05751.jpg

He lost sight in his eye from a fight....roosters! Any one have a clue what he might be a mix of?

Then today, I went for feed at Orchelns and guess what??? They had chicks!!!!!!!! I could not help myself.... I got 4 rainbow layers and 2 barred rocks.

94725_img_06071.jpg

I'm not much of a photog, I have a bazillion pictures, but it's pretty rare when I have the camera at the ready for all the cute stuff my birds do...LOL
Sooooo....here is the newest addition to the coop....Third addition is under constuction...With 3 roos, want to keep everybody happy.
tongue.png

94725_img_05871.jpg

Oh, by the way, the fight my new rooster was in was NOT at my place. They are all kept separated. It happened at the farmer's farm. He was a bit tight lipped about the incident and I didn't push the issue.
roll.png

Thank you Mrs. Fluffy. I have been through the hatchery catalog so many times trying to figure it out. The roo was the hardest. His tail feathers (and feet) look like he has been in a few tussles. But I thought his colors were very interesting. The farmer told me that he was kinda mean, but he hasn't given me much trouble so far.

The girls were easier. My catalog has only one picture for all three---cinnamon queen, red star sex link and golden comet----I figured they were one of those. I don't really care, but it's nice to know all the same. They are so pretty and they give good sized eggs. One gives a light brown colored egg with darker brown speckles sometimes. The other gives much lighter eggs and once one that was even almost white. Once in a while, I get eggs from her that have what almost looks like *spackle* on them, not a lot, but enough to be noticeable. Is that bad? What causes that? The eggs are delicious and nice big orangey yolks.

There wasn't much of a selection @ Orschelns this time, but I couldn't help myself anyway. I hope all the chicks are pullets. The 4 "rainbow assorted pullets"---I got two dark ones and two light ones, I find out now that they can be at least 3 breeds of pullets, Leghorns and rare breeds. I'm looking forward to finding out what they are!

Boy, I'm telling you, I have way given up on thinking I know all I must know about chickens. I like learning something new everyday with these wonderful animals!

Back
Top Bottom