How do you befriend a guinea???

TajMahalChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
I am trying to socialize one of guineas and it doesn't seem to be working. She is 8 weeks old. I put her on my lap and I pet her, but each time I bring my hand toward her head she pecks it and she hisses. I just kept on petting but she didn't seem to cool down. When I pick her up she always struggles. It is manageable now, but when she gets big I am afraid she is going to be to hard to deal with. Any suggestions to help tame her (or him)?

I don't know, but if you figure it out write a book...you'd be rich
ya.gif

Seriously, I've read the threads and even seen pics of adult guineas jumping in the laps of their owners...I've had mine from keets and when small we held them every day. They weren't tame even then and now impossible to hold...the only reason they "keep me around" is for food. I will admit though, mine go in the coop every night on their own.
My secret there...I have a single light bulb on a timer that goes on 1/2 hour before sundown and they go in and roost just fine
big_smile.png

I have a guinea I raised from an egg and she won't let me near her, but she will search out my daughter to pet her. They are really strange critters.
idunno.gif

Like Bf said if you can figure them out you would be rich.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Same here! I held them every day, but they still try to get away when I go to pick them up. Oh well, I guess the guineas will get their way.

I have never heard a guinea hiss! I have 3 I got as adults, well...1 was maybe 5 months old. They don't come over to be petted, but after almost a year of taking care of them they are no longer afraid of me. The baby will stand right at my feet if I have scratch. I pulled her off a nest every night for a week and carried her back to the coop...still no hissing. Is it more like a sqwack? or really a hiss?

I found that if I don't try to pick mine up or mess with them, and I do throw them treats....they tolerate me pretty well.
lol.png

The new babies are only a few weeks old and they cheep a lot, but no hissing.

I Would still consider it a hiss. She would open her beak really wide and breathe out, making a soft hissing noise. I seemed like she would do it as a warning just before she would peck me. I think it was intentional; not just exhaling, but I could be wrong. Well, hissing or not, she doesn't like to be pet!

I think that is a good idea to start giving them treats. Maybe associating myself with food would work. I'll give that a try.

LOL so glad i'm not the only one with this question.

i just got my babies - 5 chicks and 4 guineas (with one sad loss, now i'm down to 3 keets). The chicks are comparatively zen about being picked up while the guineas are just freaking the whole time. i keep reminding myself they have been here for 3 DAYS so i just need to keep working with them... but they do seem to be settling in just fine with the chicks and like to cozy up to them. So i guess...well..they will be useful.

i just hope eventually they will like me... :p

Same here! My chicks always where so nonchalant about being picked up while the guineas always gave me some trouble. I guess they always will...

Back
Top Bottom