How do you care for silkies?

I love Silkies very much but I wouldn't say they need extra care. They are just more vulnerable to predators because of their gentle nature and calmness. Whenever I free range them I always watch for predators such as hawks, kites, etc. ever since I lost one of my girls to a hawk. I don't think Silkies need extra care they're just extra sweet. 😊

I love Silkies very much but I wouldn't say they need extra care. They are just more vulnerable to predators because of their gentle nature and calmness. Whenever I free range them I always watch for predators such as hawks, kites, etc. ever since I lost one of my girls to a hawk. I don't think Silkies need extra care they're just extra sweet. 😊

Awwww!!! They are so sweet I only let my chickens out when I can watch them so hopefully they should be fine!

Silkies can't handle either cold or heat well, those cute feathers aren't great insulation for them. They can't fly like 'normal' birds, and the top knots limit their vision, especially up, so noticing raptors isn't easy for them.
Plan on more than average care, depending on your climate, and safety from predators.
Mary

A good well ventilated coop, windbreaks and roofed run, unfrozen waterers. Here in southern Michigan, generally okay. About where are you located? Ask on your state's site, and the Silkie site.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom