Lone chick

Alilinn

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2023
I had a hen hatch out 3 seramas and 2 silkies about 7 weeks ago. One silkie didn’t make it.
The silkie is growing faster than the other three chicks due to the breed difference.
The mom decided yesterday that she no longer needs to take care of the silkie, and started rejecting her, but is still taking care of the seramas.
That leaves the one silkie alone in the flock. She seems to be doing okay, but is just by herself a lot, everyone else has a small group.
I have 4 other silkies that are only about 2 weeks older than her but they were brooded together and they stick together.
How long will it take for her to find a group to accept her?
Have you had a hen reject only one chick even after almost 2 months?
I attached pics of her with her “siblings” she’s so adorable.

Attachments

• IMG_3967.png
    IMG_3967.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3968.png
    IMG_3968.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 9
I had a hen hatch out 3 seramas and 2 silkies about 7 weeks ago. One silkie didn’t make it.
The silkie is growing faster than the other three chicks due to the breed difference.
The mom decided yesterday that she no longer needs to take care of the silkie, and started rejecting her, but is still taking care of the seramas.
That leaves the one silkie alone in the flock. She seems to be doing okay, but is just by herself a lot, everyone else has a small group.
I have 4 other silkies that are only about 2 weeks older than her but they were brooded together and they stick together.
How long will it take for her to find a group to accept her?
Have you had a hen reject only one chick even after almost 2 months?
I attached pics of her with her “siblings” she’s so adorable.
I don’t know for sure but I would give it a couple weeks to let her be fully into the group hopefully all goes well and someone more experienced will be able to help.

She’s beautiful. Looks very sweet. I hope she will find her place soon. Currently, my young Silkie, Ursula, is going through a similar situation. She was raised with my Buff Orpington and Australorp chicks. When it was time to move them to the “big girls” building, Ursula couldn’t go with them due to her tiny size. I initially raised up the chicks in a section of my Serama building, so Ursula was at least able to see and interact with the Seramas, Mille Fleur d’Uccles, Porcelain d’Anvers and Silkie/Sebright mixes. Sometimes, she wants to be out with them. Sometimes, she’s afraid and hides. She gets a little more brave every day. They all get along quite well with her, but she’s pretty timid and runs to me when I enter the building. It’s a slow process for my little Silkie. I’m confident that your little girl will find her place just like Ursula is.

Have you had a hen reject only one chick even after almost 2 months
From my experience, when the mother hen starts to wean her chicks she will start with the best developed males pecking them away while still caring a few days for the female siblings.

8 weeks is normal to start weaning the chicks.

Lone chicks always survive, they don't need to belong with a group they just need to know there's others around them to learn from. It takes about 3 months to be part of the entire flock.
Thank you. That makes me feel better.

From my experience, when the mother hen starts to wean her chicks she will start with the best developed males pecking them away while still caring a few days for the female siblings.

8 weeks is normal to start weaning the chicks.
I actually was wondering if the silkie is a Roo. That would makes sense.

She’s beautiful. Looks very sweet. I hope she will find her place soon. Currently, my young Silkie, Ursula, is going through a similar situation. She was raised with my Buff Orpington and Australorp chicks. When it was time to move them to the “big girls” building, Ursula couldn’t go with them due to her tiny size. I initially raised up the chicks in a section of my Serama building, so Ursula was at least able to see and interact with the Seramas, Mille Fleur d’Uccles, Porcelain d’Anvers and Silkie/Sebright mixes. Sometimes, she wants to be out with them. Sometimes, she’s afraid and hides. She gets a little more brave every day. They all get along quite well with her, but she’s pretty timid and runs to me when I enter the building. It’s a slow process for my little Silkie. I’m confident that your little girl will find her place just like Ursula is.
Aww! We are trying to give ours extra attention but she’s a little skittish. She’d been with her mom for so long that she didn’t get much interaction from us. She’s warming up to us quick.

Back
Top Bottom