How do you clean the feeders and waterers?

Off topic, but how do you keep them from freezing in the winter? I'm just about done with my open waterer setup. They spill it instantly, and if they don't, shavings are soaking up all the water by the next day. :barnie
I have a water heater for my chickens. Has worked well all winter. We put the cord inside conduit so the chickens couldn't peck it.

I started using open waters, 3KillerB's, about a year ago. It's been a lot easier for me to take care of. Got tired of messing with them store-bought waterers. I bought this 3-gallon, I guess you can call rubber pan/bowl, at Walmart, and put it in the enclosed run, on top of a cylinder block and it works great. I have to fill it up again, once a day, but I have to refill my rabbit's waterers too, so no biggy. I dump the water out and rinse it, every other day and when it starts to get algae, I have a spray bottle with bleach and a couple of drops of Dawn detergent with water in it and I just spray it, let it set about 30 minutes, till the algae is gone, give it a good rinsing and re-fill it. When it does get around freezing here, it'll form some ice on it but I just use something to break up the ice, and it's good to go. :wee

I started using open waters, 3KillerB's, about a year ago. It's been a lot easier for me to take care of. Got tired of messing with them store-bought waterers. I bought this 3-gallon, I guess you can call rubber pan/bowl, at Walmart, and put it in the enclosed run, on top of a cylinder block and it works great. I have to fill it up again, once a day, but I have to refill my rabbit's waterers too, so no biggy. I dump the water out and rinse it, every other day and when it starts to get algae, I have a spray bottle with bleach and a couple of drops of Dawn detergent with water in it and I just spray it, let it set about 30 minutes, till the algae is gone, give it a good rinsing and re-fill it. When it does get around freezing here, it'll form some ice on it but I just use something to break up the ice, and it's good to go. :wee

Proof that no one way is good for everyone.

I can't stand open waterers and can't wait to get my chicks onto nipples. :D

I just clean with plain water every day or so and rub it with a paper towel. Is that enough or should I use some dish soap to prevent bacteria from forming?
I wash my waterers with dawn dish soap and a scrubby to get the scum off and to "sanitize" them. I think it works well. They always look and smell nice after. As for feeders, I don't clean them on a regular basis. When I do my big coop cleaning in the spring and fall, when I scrub everything down, I wash them with soap too.

Back
Top Bottom