How do you deal with a very "I"M A ROO

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Momagain1, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    and I'm gonna do what I want to do "ROO"...

I have this turken roo; while he's not mean (yet)..he is VERY in your face and I freak out everytime he comes near me..
    its not a just walking to me..its almost like a flighty-charge towards us...

I need to not be afraid of him..but I DONT like birds flying up towards me..and if I dont like it..I know the kids wont like
    it when they are helping w/chicken chores soon...

he is huge compared to the other turkens..and just big in general to all the other ones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: just to show you how much bigger he is (bad pic sorry)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Honestly, I'd get rid of him before your two little ones start doing chicken chores. No sense in taking chances on him attacking one of them - especially in the face. You don't want them afraid of chickens for the rest of their lives.

3. BoomChickaRocka

BoomChickaRocka Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    give the kids sunglasses thats the only spot it can really hurt them

4. Dingleberry

Dingleberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Woodinville
    Our roo was called Chicken dinner for a reason [​IMG]

5. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Sunglasses and a pair of boots.

Boot is for the roo's butt!

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I build a bigger coop. [​IMG]

I have 8 boys currently. I adore them all. [​IMG]

7. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    I make chicken soup.

Except my game rooster, I put up with him because that's just how those birds are. He's sweet to the hens and alerts us to anything unusual outside, like someone walking through the property or a car pulling in the driveway. He sleeps in a covered cage in the horse trailer though, because he crows all night.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I was terrified when my BO was going through the "teenage" roo phase. He would charge and I would run. I finally got over it once I had been bitten a couple of times. No big deal, it was a pinch that hurt for a minute and left a bruise. (He NEVER used spurs.) Once the fear was gone I started working with him. He still charges but if I stand my ground he just lays his head against my leg, if he is really feeling rowdy he unties my shoe. [​IMG] So much for the big bad rooster. [​IMG]

I still am not comfortable with having roosters around kids though. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  9. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My husbands way to do it is to run around flappy your arms and chasing the rooster all over the years screaming like a mad man. (ok so he a mad man) But the Rooster never bothered him again!!

10. Paraclete

Paraclete Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Norco
    I have a young rooster, almost a year old, he's pretty calm and nice to be around, but the other day him and my other rooster went at it through the fence that separated the two. Had a board blocking their view of each other and with the rain it kinda warped and well the lil guy got between the board and the fence and they went at it. Anyways since I pulled the two apart, they both thought they had won, therefore he thought he was the big cheese. Well he came at me, not running to attack I think but more to show himself off, I just grabbed him and pushed him down, showed him I was the dominate one. I've read, and I'm not sure how true it is, but that if I had turned away and left, he would of thought he had won against me and again, thought we was the dominate male there. He hasn't tried anything since.
    Anyways before I go on and on, what I was getting at was maybe you should assert yourself and your family as the dominate "bird" in the flock with the little guy. He comes up on you, you go towards him and maybe hold him down, and show your dominance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by