How do you feed OATS to chickens?

Rolled oats (from the feed store) have the hull attached and are flattened somewhat. They are what I feed my chickens in my recipe.

I have used whole oats and am planning to switch back to them since they are cheaper.

Oats are one of their least favorite things to eat in my recipe.

No one was implying you asked a stupid question. I think it was directed more toward some of the answers you got. You'll find a division on this board, some folks like to do extras for their birds and some are more business-like. You now have both sides' responses. When I tell you my thought, after looking at the thread title, was "on the ground", you'll easily guess which camp I'm in!

Please, feel free to ask questions. As stated, you'll feel worse if'n you don't ask and harm your birds. We ALL started somewhere, even those of us who forget that.

NEVER give chickens uncooked oats! they can expand in thier stomachs and cause all kinds of bad stuff to happen!

just my two cents
smile.png

Quote:
The biggest percentages of my free ranging chickens comes from the wheat and oat hay stack. Grain that is dropped or picked out of bales by chickens. They work the stack over regularly. They are all fat and healthy.

I was just looking up how to feed whole oats, too, because I've been meaning to up the protein I feed my flock. I think this was a valid question, considering how different everyone's methods are. My chickens, so far, have eaten everything I've fed them before. I figure that they'll take to oats just as well. I might soak some of their feed anyway, though. It looks like some of them aren't getting all that they can out of their feed. Soaking/fermenting their feed in apple cider vinegar is probably the next step for me. It also will probably lower feed costs, considering soaked feed takes up more room in their crops. I bet they'll love it! :)

Quote:

We feed our girls cooked steel-cut oats and flaxseed almost every morning. Just cook 'em like regular oats. I add plain yogurt to them. The girls lap it up like a dog loves raw meat.
I was curious about the steel cut oats. I cooked some 1/2 way and added some of their feed, couple cranberries, blueberries, cucumber, & hard boiled egg. Curious about those steel cut oats tho! 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom