how do you find??????

Sc00ter4900

Songster
11 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Massachusetts
People in your area to split orders for baby chicks. I have 6 and want to get 12 more but to get 25 would be too much . Any sugestions? Thanks

Scotty

This site might be a good place to start. Ask if any one is in your county of Mass.
Then you could call the local extension office, they may have some 4H leaders who would know people.
See if there is a swap going on ion your area, we have an agriculture/4h, FFA fair every February, that would be another place to find people interested. or, talk your neighbor into it.
Ideal will send a smaller order, you just pay more. I have seen ads for hatcheries that will sell as few as three. maybe you can google around and find some near you.

I posted a listing on craigslist.com and one here about the fact I was ordering chicks.

I did it about two to three weeks before I planned on ordering. I only needed about 18 other chicks to fill out my order, but I got so many friendly responses, the shipment ended up being almost 50 chicks. I ended up meeting some nice local chicken keepers this way that I wouldn't have met otherwise. We ended up ordering with Welp Hatchery since the shipping of each chick was included in the price of each chick. It made figuring out the individual costs per person in the order much simpler and we were able to get generally what we each wanted. The only downsize for a couple of the folks was we couldn't mix crested or bantam breeds in the order with the standards.

Also, you probably won't have too hard of a time selling the extras after they arrive if you get all 25 yourself.

Quote:
Penalty for enabling.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

I recognize that the OP is in Mass. and has entirely different rules. S/he needs to find out what those rules are before starting a little resale business on the homestead.

Here is the definition of dealer/broker in GA.

"Dealer" or "broker" means any person, firm, or corporation engaged in the business of buying live poultry of any kind for resale or in selling live poultry of any kind bought for the purpose of resale. Every agent acting for or on behalf of any dealer, broker, or poultry market operator is a dealer or broker, provided that any farmer acquiring poultry solely for the purpose of rearing and feeding such poultry as a part of his or her farm operations is not a "dealer" or "broker."

Here, the bottom line is that if you resell poultry, you must have a license. GA courts don't take kindly to cutesy or inventive constructions of statutory or regulatory language.

Back
Top Bottom