How do you gain genetic knowledge?

Liviepaigesmom

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2020
I really want to get into breeding chickens and I an so theoughly confused when it comes to dominate traits and what chickens create sex links. I have a few heritage breeds and also have a few ayum cemani. I would like to keep some just heritage breeds but I love playing too and would like to know what I am doing. I had a speckeels Sussex roo in with my patridge rock, barred Rock and a few others. The partridge chicks look very much like patridge rock and the barred rock like the mothers as well but they wont creed true with a roo of there breed, correct? Are there books or websites anyone suggest? I looked at the site that you enter hen and roo and was just so very confused. Any help is appreciated.

3KillerBs

Crossing the Road
11 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I looked at the site that you enter hen and roo and was just so very confused.

Same here. I was going to try out my pullets with roosters of the breeds I'm considering and was hopelessly lost.

I need some kind of chart that explains what all those symbols mean before I could even begin.

Jul 15, 2020
Washington State 8a/8b
Possibly. The one I saw looked similar but was in English. I cant get that one to translate the drop downs to english.

The site is set up a little weird, there are four drop downs, one of them is english (second or third drop-down). That page is the main one, there's another calculator page made by Henk that shows the individual genes themselves (http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html) it can all be SUPER confusing which I understand. The issue is there's SO much more to chicken genetics than other species like dogs, horses, pigeons, etc.

https://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

This might help? I learned other genetics before chicken, and I learned Henks calculators before as well so they're not as complex to me. Let me know if you need any help or want to know what chicks would come from a certain pairing : D

Top Bottom