How do you gather your eggs?

I had one for both coat pockets this morning!

The Dickies work jacket's pockets have plenty of room for at least 6-8 eggs -- the trick being to not put them in the same pocket with keys, nails, pliers, etc.

In the same pocket as the phone is OK -- IF I'm careful when putting the phone back in after taking flock photos.

A couple years ago Walmart had little egg baskets for sale after easter for a dollar each. We bought 3. Handy. Similar baskets sale at the farm store for about 20 and are exactly like the medium baskets of balls at the golf driving range. In any case the three we have don't show any appreciable wear so I'm good. At this time of year though I usually just put the one or two eggs in my hoody pockets. I do have a new hen laying eggs thats decided that, instead of using the nesting boxes of either of my two coops, she's going to the neighbors yard and laying them by a garden wall. Picked another two up yesterday. At least she's not broody. I did watch her run over to the garden last Sunday but there's old pumpkins there. When I looked back though, she wasn't at the pumpkins. An hour later I went looking for her and found her sitting on her fresh egg, about 3 feet from her previous egg that showed signs of being her first. Shes part Polish and evidently part Easter Egger so she's Buff with a not quite pom pom crest but her eggs are blue.

Attachments

• Little Bird.jpg
    Little Bird.jpg
    565.6 KB · Views: 2
I have a gallon orange Halloween pail with a layer of wood chips in the bottom. I keep it in my dry basement with all my chicken and bird feed. My 5 year old great granddaughter loves to carry it whenever she visits to assist me with egg gathering. It has become my go to container for collecting eggs daily.

I use a small tin can, to collect them in the evenings. I have 19 hens and got my first 14 eggs, yesterday and it almost filled the can. Then I bring them into the house and transfer them into a basket similar to the one 'Happy Hen Lover' shows in her pic, but I do need something better to collect them in because the tin can has no handle. I don't like using egg cartons because of the dirty eggs, due to the ground being wet. Egg cartons are hard enough to come by.

Back
Top Bottom