How do you get a good rooster????

Here is my big baby cockerel😁-
(His name is Logan the chick🤪)
View attachment 2835802
Gus-View attachment 2835806Mossy (a pullet)-View attachment 2835808
And my miracle baby Shelly❤️-View attachment 2835812
Oh and also one Midge🤣-
E6D12490-55C3-4CFA-9EFE-B20BCA742402.jpeg

We also have 6 other chicks from them!😊 3 double silver laced barnevelders and 3 (I think) azure eggers! All pullets!😊 Just a couple pictures! We have some Wilco chicks in with them too!😉 View attachment 2835817View attachment 2835818
Those dang double silver laced are what I'm saving for. They are just breath taking! ❤️❤️❤️ I spoke with the owner a couple times and they seem to have amazing customer service as well from what I could tell.

Those dang double silver laced are what I'm saving for. They are just breath taking! ❤️❤️❤️ I spoke with the owner a couple times and they seem to have amazing customer service as well from what I could tell.
Yes! Your Midge is the baby that made me aware of them! They are my goal now lol. Thank you! 😂
Yeah they are very pretty! What happened with ours was we ordered 3 of those and 3 moss eggers. They added one extra moss egger. Then there was a problem at the post office where all the boxes of animals must have fallen over. My Shelly got stuck in a cup that they put inside and she was barely even breathing. And one of the barnevelders (Grumpy) got its foot stuck and twisted under the heat pad thing they put in there. We thought Shelly was dead. All of the other chicks (except two) were also in terrible shape. Everyone needed to be nursed back to health and then put with our Murray McMurray chicks that we had also ordered. Except 3. My Shelly was doing horrible. She couldn’t stand, walk, eat, drink, or anything. She kept throwing up and falling on her back. She screamed and threw herself into the walls of her container and couldn’t keep her eyes open. We thought she would die. But instead one of our barnevelders (Tiny) died. And so I was down to two sick chicks. I force fed and watered my two chicks (Shelly and Grumpy) (even at 4 AM) and they started to get better! Until my poor Grumpy passed away.😞 But I kept helping my Shelly and she made it! But then she struggled with feet issues and now has crossbeak. But I love her all the same.❤️ Their chicks are very sweet! Just fragile! It was a very traumatic incident. So they sent us replacement chicks (we had to pay $50 shipping). They sent us 5 barnevelders for those 2 and 3 (I think) azure egger pullets. Then 2 of those barnevelders died (one got it’s foot trapped under the heat pad again and the other failed to thrive).😞 And so know I have 6 newer pullets from them (one who has crossbeak as well) who are the sweetest!❤️ My crossbeak babies get to go in with the polishes!😊 I love my chicks I just wish they wouldn’t have added the heat packs and maybe not the cups too.

Yeah they are very pretty! What happened with ours was we ordered 3 of those and 3 moss eggers. They added one extra moss egger. Then there was a problem at the post office where all the boxes of animals must have fallen over. My Shelly got stuck in a cup that they put inside and she was barely even breathing. And one of the barnevelders (Grumpy) got its foot stuck and twisted under the heat pad thing they put in there. We thought Shelly was dead. All of the other chicks (except two) were also in terrible shape. Everyone needed to be nursed back to health and then put with our Murray McMurray chicks that we had also ordered. Except 3. My Shelly was doing horrible. She couldn’t stand, walk, eat, drink, or anything. She kept throwing up and falling on her back. She screamed and threw herself into the walls of her container and couldn’t keep her eyes open. We thought she would die. But instead one of our barnevelders (Tiny) died. And so I was down to two sick chicks. I force fed and watered my two chicks (Shelly and Grumpy) (even at 4 AM) and they started to get better! Until my poor Grumpy passed away.😞 But I kept helping my Shelly and she made it! But then she struggled with feet issues and now has crossbeak. But I love her all the same.❤️ Their chicks are very sweet! Just fragile! It was a very traumatic incident. So they sent us replacement chicks (we had to pay $50 shipping). They sent us 5 barnevelders for those 2 and 3 (I think) azure egger pullets. Then 2 of those barnevelders died (one got it’s foot trapped under the heat pad again and the other failed to thrive).😞 And so know I have 6 newer pullets from them (one who has crossbeak as well) who are the sweetest!❤️ My crossbeak babies get to go in with the polishes!😊 I love my chicks I just wish they wouldn’t have added the heat packs and maybe not the cups too.
Sorry that’s so long!😨🤪

Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?
For me at least our roosters aggression is what I feel like made him the amazing rooster he was. He took such good care of his hens and was very protective against us and even the dog sometimes. Granted he was a 4lbs silkie rooster so mainly we would just feel his feathers against our legs but sometimes he’d get in there with his beak. On Sunday he, one of my pullets and my 10 week old chick were taken by a fox - absolutely no match for him to defend himself, but I know Rex went down with a fight. My sister was scared of him so she’d just take a broom out with her and he’d leave her alone. We never really made an attempt to tame him although his battery to us wasn’t enjoyable. I’d say it’s definitely a nature vs nurture thing, some breeds being more aggressive and some individual roos due to their breeding practices but consistently taming them while young works well too.

Recently we had to cull l one of our 5 month old cockerels due to aggression. Tonight our remaining cockerel flogged my son, twice. I know I have little experience but how on earth do you get a rooster who isn't human aggressive? I would really like to be able to hatch my own fertilized eggs. I also want my hens to be watched after. Is it just luck of the draw with roosters?
I start picking up the roosters off the roost at evening and rub their combs and waddles. I then place back on roost and repeat frequently to pet and increase the cuddling. They do protest in the beginning but then start being less aggressive. The deciding factor of who gets kept is the crowing. If I cant tolerate it . He finds a new home or the crock pot. I hope this helps. Best wishes

Thank you for all of that info! I'm so sorry for all the struggles you went through with the babies. Having to ship really makes a huge impact on little ones sometimes.😩 Now I truly understand your bond with Shelly. What a lucky girl! I really appreciate the full rundown you have me on the situation you encountered and how it was handled. ❤️❤️❤️

Thank you for all of that info! I'm so sorry for all the struggles you went through with the babies. Having to ship really makes a huge impact on little ones sometimes.😩 Now I truly understand your bond with Shelly. What a lucky girl! I really appreciate the full rundown you have me on the situation you encountered and how it was handled. ❤️❤️❤️
Yeah the barnevelders are an especially fragile breed because they are so tiny!😉 Thanks for letting me share!❤️

We have a Welsummer who is great - a big boy, but very tolerant of us. I picked him because they are known to often have good temperaments. I now have a young cross of him and our barred- also known to be calmer, he also is turning out well. But I agree that even the best can only take soo much “taunting” from young kids or dogs chasing them or his girls. We teach the young kids how to respect their space, but not fear them. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom