How do you get ready for winter?

Pics
Your 'regular' feed is not mostly corn?
This is a long cited myth, that corn makes them warmer.
Any digestion creates heat. There are some excellent explanations if you want to search it out, or start a new thread to draw it out. Actually the best explanation I've read was from a member no longer here, got tired of repeating themselves.

I've read everywhere that if you feed scratch or cracked corn before closing your chickens up for the night, it is difficult to digest; so it keeps their bodies warmer? I'm only repeating what I've heard for years :lol:

Most still do not realize that if your coop is set up properly, you do not need to do much of anything to prepare for winter…

When ambient temperatures dip into the 40s, I close the warm weather window; it is at roost level for those warm summer nights when the birds would welcome a breeze.

The weekend or so after Thanksgiving, I replace the deep litter with fresh pine shavings. This is the only change since last Thanksgiving.

That’s it…

My water heater and nest box heaters are on thermo cubes, powered and ready to go 365. I look forward to the first sub freezing night. That is just to be sure everything is still function as designed.

Some people don't have to do a lot, but my chicken keeping in winter requires more than in the warmer months. Getting heated waterers out, cleaning out the coop (this doesn't really apply, since I clean out the coop every two weeks), replacing pine shavings with hay; cleaning out the run; create artificial dust baths, etc.

I'm glad that you don't have to do much, sounds so simple! :D

Hello!! I am just after a little advice if anyone can help?
I keep both chickens and ducks, and today we have had our first real blast of snow and ice. I rescued a wild duckling at the start of the year and expected her to have left by now, but she’s integrated so much with the rest of my flock she now won’t fly away for winter. The problem I am having is that apparently my dad spotted her today huddled up trying to keep warm, we aren’t sure what sort of duck she is, but she is smaller than a mallard. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could perhaps get her a jumper to keep her warm during the day, and then take it off so she can snuggle down with the Welsh harlequins on a night, or does anyone have any other advice as to how I can keep her warm? I’m worried that if she is just sat all day trying to stay warm that she won’t eat or drink properly, and with her being a wild duck I don’t really want to keep her inside as it’s against her nature to be kept inside.

Hello!! I am just after a little advice if anyone can help?
I keep both chickens and ducks, and today we have had our first real blast of snow and ice. I rescued a wild duckling at the start of the year and expected her to have left by now, but she’s integrated so much with the rest of my flock she now won’t fly away for winter. The problem I am having is that apparently my dad spotted her today huddled up trying to keep warm, we aren’t sure what sort of duck she is, but she is smaller than a mallard. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could perhaps get her a jumper to keep her warm during the day, and then take it off so she can snuggle down with the Welsh harlequins on a night, or does anyone have any other advice as to how I can keep her warm? I’m worried that if she is just sat all day trying to stay warm that she won’t eat or drink properly, and with her being a wild duck I don’t really want to keep her inside as it’s against her nature to be kept inside.
Do not put any clothes on her, it will interfere with her ability to acclimate to the falling temperatures. When temperatures drop I will often see a few birds looking hunched up. It's normal, they are just warming themselves up. They may even shiver, which warms them up too.

In response to cooler temperatures her feathers should thicken and she will acclimate to the new normal low temperatures.

People often feel sorry and they try to provide heat to their birds. All that does is interfere with the natural process and it leaves birds dependent on extra heat, much the same as us humans get used to our warm houses. Let it be. Nature knows what it is doing.

Back
Top Bottom