How do you get your birds to be so friendly?

Everyone says Brahmas are loveable giants and mine want nothing to do with me. One of them is the head hen too.
Yeah, I got Brahmas thinking they would all be friendly, but their personalities range from "I'll scream if you touch me" to "I'll keep a safe distance, thank you" to "I'm curious but I don't want to come too close". They have been, however, naturally much calmer around me, especially after I catch them, and they're easier to examine, etc. than my EEs. I just treated one of them for impacted crop and she did become a lot more comfortable around me, but not so comfortable that she'll come up to me on her own.

I had an SLW that I raised as a "lap chicken" from the day she was hatched; she was the chick that always ran towards the hand instead of freaking out and bouncing off the walls. I fed her by hand, handled her constantly, etc. She was amazingly friendly and wanted to hang out ON me as much as possible and she also stalked my son
IMG_20200315_140945171.jpg
IMG_20200315_144227511.jpg
IMG_20200412_093647040.jpg
IMG_20200328_203026833.jpg
IMG_20200405_100844897_TOP.jpg
. I've never had one that awesome before or since.

My first flock was basically wild when I got them, and they over 2 years old. Treats and talking to them, just spending time near them, got them flying to gate when they saw me, and hanging around "talking" and thinking they were helping, clean coop and pen.
As someone said, they do have their own individual personalities, some breeds are more friendly than others. But much, I believe is encouraging them to come to you with rewards, without having to corner them. Getting them used to your hands, rubbing them and etc. It seemed to work for me.

Yeah, I got Brahmas thinking they would all be friendly, but their personalities range from "I'll scream if you touch me" to "I'll keep a safe distance, thank you" to "I'm curious but I don't want to come too close". They have been, however, naturally much calmer around me, especially after I catch them, and they're easier to examine, etc. than my EEs. I just treated one of them for impacted crop and she did become a lot more comfortable around me, but not so comfortable that she'll come up to me on her own.
Its too bad because one of my brahmas started off loving me and would jump on my outstretched arm and fall asleep in my lap. But now shes taken the role of top of the pecking order and wont come near me for the most part. Power trip I guess 🤷‍♀️
My EE is a nut. She wants to be all up in my face at all times and I'm pretty sure thinks my teeth are treats. But she's a no touchy, even though she would gladly climb into my mouth

Attachments

• 20230823_134022.jpg
    20230823_134022.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 3
in my like 3-ish years of having chickens, it was always a mixed bag sometimes its breed (for me Barred rocks or speckled sussex are the friendliest) sometimes it's personality. but I saw a post that said as chicks let them climb all over you and I can completely vouch for that but it also takes a little more than just that. when I raise chicks for friendliness I find they really like when you get on their level. Standing up and looming over them is scary! I often take my chicks when they are old enough and set them down in a fairly open space (that you don't mind getting popped on) and you just sit down with them. The lower you get to the ground the better and once you are there you don't move! basically become a capybara and just chill. Sometimes one will get curious and come near you if they do you can stay chilling or you can make little scratches at the ground as if you are kinda like a mama hen I found this interests them in you and makes you feel more approachable. now this isn't a one-time thing you have to do this every...day that is mostly why it's hard for most people. Chicken love takes a ton of time and I have chickens that have taken up to 1-2 years before they even considered coming within arms reach but every chicken is different but you treat them all with love and respect and try and see things from their point of view sometimes.

I am a first-time chicken owner. I purchased 10 RIR's (days old chicks) from our local hardware store (sourced from Hoover's Hatchery), so I'm sure they are "production reds." From all the posts I've seen on here, these birds have a reputation of being stand-offish jerks. That could not be more false. My birds fly to me when they see me. I cannot do anything in the coop/pen/yard without them being underfoot at all times! If I sit, they fight to fly up on my lap, arms, shoulders and even my head (not liking that very much though). I have one that will even fly up on my shoulder while I'm standing (I'm 5'4")! They talk and talk to me and tell me all their woes and gossip. I don't think I really did anything to cause them to be so friendly. As chicks, they were always scared to death of me. Because they seemed so fearful, I didn't handle them much. I did sit with them...a LOT, and talk to them. They are about 6 months old now, and all are laying. I don't give them a lot of treats, but I do toss them some meal worms about once a week. I also have been giving them 'popcicles' (I freeze a small amount of chicken scratch in water and give it to them in the heat of the afternoon--which has been unbearable here in Middle Georgia USA). So, in short, I really don't think I did anything in particular to 'make them friendly.' They just built trust over time and seem to understand now that my husband and I are their caretakers..or their "roosters", I suppose.

I have some mixed breed chickens, there's really nothing I do while they are at the teenager stage where they hate you all the time. When they're chicks I try to handle them all after five days, because they are rather delicate during their first five days. But when they start to lay I notice a change in them that they become fine with you touching them. Almost all the chickens will eat out of my hand but there are just some chickens that just beg for your attention. That is what my Lhicken did. I got her as a pullet for my first 8 pullets. Within a week or two she started laying and became even more friendly. I mean she was always friendly from the start and was the only one that let me pick her up. There was also Bananas that really apparently liked me so followed me around but doesn't like being picked up. Lhicken would come running to see me at the gate when I came in, and she and Bananas would follow me around. I didn't really give them treats as I didn't know what they liked, but once I found an earthworm, and gave it to Lhicken. Sadly Lhicken passed in June of this year due to Mareks disease. She was only one year old when this happened.
IMG_E0802.JPG

I have a pullet named Bessie that seems inclined towards me. After Lhicken passed, she became my new best friend. She will sit on my shoulder and make cute sounds in my ear. She loves raspberries and will eat them from my hand while sitting on my shoulder. She is a touch hard to catch but once I catch her she jumps on my shoulder and makes cute happy sounds.
100_0203.JPG
100_0206.JPG

-lots of handling as young chicks
**I’ve always found chicks raised by a broody to be notably less friendly with me; my little hatchery ones, on the other hand, are great! I hold mine from the moment I get them & have never had an issue.
-offer feed out of your hand
**Association: Hands help!
-breed personality is actually a thing
-luck of the draw is also a thing
-more! handling! as! young chicks!
-forgive them when they go through their sulky teenager phase
-generalized time in close vicinity (garden nearby, read book on porch, etc.)
**(hey, this featherless creature isn’t always out to engage with me. hmm. guess they’re okay & I’ll just do my thing while they do theirs)

Back
Top Bottom