How do you guess gender on ducklings?

And dont just say flip a coin...I posted a bunch of pictures, but so far I think I might only have one male? The one with the thickest legs is the only one who hisses, and when I pick it up its the only one who screams its head off and acts like its dying. Male? >_>
So, anyway, I get to show off my babys and gather info at the same time, any ideas? Or tips as to what i should look for as they develop?
They hatched on March 1st and 2nd.

This guy, the black and white one standing on the food dish, is the one with the thickest legs and the only one who hisses at me.

Hehe I think this little Ancona baby might be a lavender!!! TwT

love.gif

I just remember hearing the first peeeQUACK at around three weeks with my runner babies.

love.gif

I just remember hearing the first quack at around three weeks with my runner babies.
Mine havent thought about quacking yet, but the one guy is definitely hissing lol I cant wait to hear the first quack, that's going to be great.

It was cute. I still remember I was lying in bed, and hearing the peeeep! peeeeep! of little party animals in the brooder room across the hall. Then what started as a peep turned into one brief, loud quack, and all the noises stopped for a few moments.
lol.png

I thought to myself, "well, that one's a girl!"

There were a couple I had thought might be boys, but no, whoever sexed them at the hatchery made all the right calls.

It was cute. I still remember I was lying in bed, and hearing the peeeep! peeeeep! of little party animals in the brooder room across the hall. Then what started as a peep turned into one brief, loud quack, and all the noises stopped for a few moments.
lol.png

I thought to myself, "well, that one's a girl!"

There were a couple I had thought might be boys, but no, whoever sexed them at the hatchery made all the right calls.
Awe!!!
To cute :D
I hatched these guys out so im shooting in the dark X_X

In my experience, the ducklings who are the loudest (even as little guys) are the ones that turn out to be girls.

You won't be able to really tell until they are about 2 1/2-3 months old. That's when you will be able to sex them for sure (you can try voice sexing them sooner but I've found that it can be tricky with some. You voice sex them at a young age and think you have mostly females. But when they mature you find out you have mostly males. I think they go through some sort of "puberty" stage where both genders sound similar or are easy to mix up). But once they reach that age, the females will be loud and the males will sound hoarse.
And around 3-4 months the males will grow their curly "sex feather" at the base of their tail

Thank you for this thread. I have been trying to figure out the sex of my two ducks recently. They are 5 weeks old now. One is very loud and always talking little noises with quacks. The other is much quieter and I can't remember if it has actually quacked yet. Part of me wants two females but another part wants a drake and a female. I am torn. I will love them either way. They are so cute and grow sooooo fast!

Back
Top Bottom