How do you install PC fan into Hovabator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Spinster_Sister, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Spinster_Sister

Spinster_Sister Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Hawthorne, CA
    I am off to buy a PC fan for my still air hovabator....but how would you install it? Do they come with an optional wall plug for power? What speed is optimal? I am incubating my Jersey Giants and want all the help I can get!

TIA,

~Vickie

2. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    i bought mine from gqf and wired it into the thermostat. fan cycles on and off with the heat.............

3. thumbless

thumbless Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Mesa AZ
    If it were me I would want the fan to run non stop.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

The fan should not cycle on an off. Almost any power plug from an old phone or whatever can be wired to them to make it work. Look for something in the 3V to 12V DC output range.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  5. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    I've not tried this but was told that I could take an old phone charger and cut the wires and wrap them to the fan wires and just plug it in. Makes sence to me, when we get new cell phones we always keep the chargers thinking someday we could reuse them but never have. We now have about a dozen of them stored in the cupboard with all the other stuff I think will some day come in handy.
    Plus they are a low power source which would be enough to turn the fan . Worth a try...p

6. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Here is a picture of mine, using a cell phone charge plugin. I got them off newegg.com for $7.50 for a dozen fans. Very easy to intall and you do want your fan running all the time.

[​IMG]

I bought the fans on a special, now they are $.99 each in a quanity of 8 or more found at this link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150007

7. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

Dont forget to space it away from the foam.

8. bigdawg

bigdawg AA Poultry

Jun 28, 2009
    middle tenn
    da if the fan runs all the time the water wont last but two days at the most. my sportsman cycles on and off with heating element. so does my hova.[​IMG] my last hatch 30 out of 38 with the fan coming on and off.....................

9. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    Why are you wanting to install a fan? I have 2 still air foam incubators and have very good success from them. My latest hatch was 8 out of 8 guinea eggs 3 weeks ago. I did follow Miss Prissy's directions and made an incubator out of a foam cooler just to try it. Sometimes if I have multiple hatches going on I use it as my hatcher. I used a cord, probably from a phone charger, that is 120v in and 12v out. That is what is recommended and it worked for me. I'll post the link if I can find it.

ETA: Found it!!
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1996-chic-chick-bator

10. kooltex

kooltex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    NE Tx
    I installed a fan on mine, it runs all time, and keeps my temps accurate within 1/2 a degree! Much better that it was without the fan, temps would fluctuate 2-3 degrees. I recommend it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by